2006 Regular Session
To: Public Health and Welfare; Appropriations
By: Senator(s) Nunnelee, Butler, Dawkins, Dearing, Frazier, Gollott, Harden, Jackson (32nd), Kirby, Posey
AN ACT TO ESTABLISH A JOINT STUDY COMMITTEE ON THE CRITICAL NEEDS OF NURSING FACULTY AT THE MISSISSIPPI INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER LEARNING AND THE COMMUNITY AND JUNIOR COLLEGES; TO REQUIRE A REPORT TO THE 2007 REGULAR SESSION OF THE LEGISLATURE; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. (1) There is created a Joint Study Committee on the Critical Needs of Nursing Faculty at the Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning and the Community and Junior Colleges. The joint committee shall study alternative programs to produce more nursing faculty at the schools of nursing in Mississippi in order to fill the health care needs of this state. The Joint committee shall, at a minimum, study and report to the 2007 Regular Session of the Legislature on the following:
(a) Salary supplements to nurse faculty;
(b) Employer-assisted housing for nurse faculty programs, including home loans to nurse educators and relocation expenses to nurses who agree to become nursing faculty;
(c) Annual program supplements for each RN program in the state to attract students;
(d) Authorize advanced degree students to pursue masters and doctoral degrees in nursing with payback if they render service as nursing faculty;
(e) Earmark IHL scholarship/loan program for nursing faculty for doctoral students.
The Joint Committee shall make a report of its findings and recommendations to the Legislature by December 1, 2006, including any recommended legislation.
(2) The joint committee shall be composed of the following ten (10) members:
(a) The Chairmen of the Senate and House Appropriation Committees;
(b) The Chairmen of the Senate and House Public Health and Welfare (Human Services) Committees;
(c) Three (3) Senators to be appointed by the Lieutenant Governor, at least one (1) of which shall be a member of the Joint Legislative Budget Committee; and
(d) Three (3) representatives to be appointed by the Speaker of the House, at least one (1) of which shall be a member of the Joint Legislative Budget Committee.
(3) Appointments shall be made within thirty (30) days after the effective date of this act. The joint committee shall hold its first meeting before August 1, 2006. The Chairmen of the Senate and House Public Health and Welfare (Human Services) Committees shall serve as co-chairmen of the joint committee.
(4) A majority of the members of the joint committee shall constitute a quorum. In the adoption of rules, resolutions and reports, an affirmative vote of a majority of the joint committee shall be required. All members shall be notified in writing of all meetings, such notices to be mailed at least five (5) days prior to the date on which a meeting is to be held.
(5) Members of the joint committee shall receive the customary per diem compensation, expense reimbursement and mileage for attending legislative committee meetings when the Legislature is not in session.
(6) The joint committee is authorized to accept funds from any source, public or private, to be expended in implementing its duties under this section.
(7) To effectuate the purposes of this section, any department, division, board, bureau, commission or agency of the state or any political subdivision thereof, shall, at the request of the co-chairmen of the joint committee, provide such facilities, assistance and data as will enable the joint committee to properly carry out its duties.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 2006.