1998 Regular Session
By: Senator(s) Bryan
Senate Bill 2805
(As Sent to Governor)
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 57-71-25, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO INCREASE FROM THE AGGREGATE SUM OF $140,000,000.00 TO THE AGGREGATE OUTSTANDING SUM OF $140,000,000.00, THE AMOUNT OF BONDS THAT MAY BE ISSUED UNDER THE MISSISSIPPI SMALL ENTERPRISE DEVELOPMENT FINANCE ACT; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. Section 57-71-25, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
57-71-25. (1) The seller is authorized to borrow, on the credit of the state, upon receipt of a resolution from the company requesting the same, money not exceeding the aggregate sum of One Hundred Forty Million Dollars ($140,000,000.00), outstanding at any one time, not including money borrowed to refund outstanding bonds, notes or replacement notes, as may be necessary to carry out the purposes of this act. The rate of interest on any such bonds or notes which are not subject to taxation shall not exceed the rates set forth in Section 75-17-101, Mississippi Code of 1972, for general obligation bonds.
(2) As evidence of indebtedness authorized in this chapter, general or limited obligation bonds of the state shall be issued from time to time to provide monies necessary to carry out the purposes of this chapter for such total amount, in such form, in such denominations, payable in such currencies (either domestic or foreign or both), and subject to such terms and conditions of issue, redemption and maturity, rate of interest and time of payment of interest as the seller directs, except that such bonds shall mature or otherwise be retired in annual installments beginning not more than five (5) years from date thereof and extending not more than twenty (20) years from date thereof.
(3) All bonds and notes issued under authority of this chapter shall be signed by the chairman of the seller, or by his facsimile signature, and the official seal of the seller shall be affixed thereto, attested by the secretary of the seller.
(4) All bonds and notes issued under authority of this chapter may be general or limited obligations of the state, and the full faith and credit of the State of Mississippi as to general obligation bonds, or the revenue derived from projects assisted as to limited obligation bonds, are hereby pledged for the payment of the principal of and the interest on such bonds and notes.
(5) Such bonds and notes and the income therefrom shall be exempt from all taxation in the State of Mississippi.
(6) The bonds may be issued as coupon bonds or registered as to both principal and interest as the seller may determine. If interest coupons are attached, they shall contain the facsimile signature of the chairman and the secretary of the seller.
(7) As to bonds issued hereunder and designated as taxable bonds by the seller, any immunity of the state to taxation by the United States Government of interest on bonds or notes issued by the state is hereby waived.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after its passage.