1997 Regular Session
To: Fees, Salaries and Administration
By: Senator(s) Smith
Senate Bill 2764
AN ACT TO AUTHORIZE THE STATE PERSONNEL BOARD TO ESTABLISH AND OPERATE A STATEWIDE PERSONNEL DEVELOPMENT CENTER FOR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS IN STATE GOVERNMENT, AND TO PRESCRIBE THE FUNCTIONS OF SUCH CENTER; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. The State Personnel Board shall establish and operate a Statewide Personnel Development Center, hereinafter "center." The purpose of the center shall be to develop the basic criteria for understanding basic personnel management, budget control and other leadership tools to help the management positions in state government improve in their ability to manage the work force and provide quality and efficient service. The Statewide Personnel Development Center shall be an ongoing program for all management positions in state and nonstate service having a PIN number indicating a supervisory or management position. Standards shall be established by the center in which management employees shall be rated on their performance after going through the program. The program shall be a three- to five-day program of intensive training with eight- to ten-hour classroom sessions each year, for a period of three (3) years. After the completion of the Statewide Personnel Development Program, the managers would be required to evaluate their progress in the state department in which they are employed.
(2) The State Personnel Board may enter into cooperative agreements with private corporations and other entities in order to utilize private industry management training programs as part of the center's curriculum. The State Personnel Board may accept grants and donations including any funds appropriated by the Legislature for the operation of the center.
(3) The State Personnel Board, with the assistance of the Statewide Personnel Development Center, shall be responsible for establishing the criteria and the ratings of different positions in state government and establish guidelines as to how and what is expected of management positions in terms of employee morale, employee productivity, employee sick leave, employee vacation time, goals that the department is to achieve that year and productivity of the management people. All of said areas shall have a rating percentage or rating number given to them and the center shall evaluate how well the managers comprehend the basic skills in the management of their departments.
(4) After successful completion of the three-year program, the employee shall receive an increase of one (1) step in salary level.
(5) It is the intent of the Legislature by giving the additional training in the management areas, to have a more productive and more accountable work force and improve the services to the taxpayers of the state, recognized cost savings and provide better relationships between the worker and management.
(6) State agencies, political subdivisions and local governmental entities of the State of Mississippi are authorized to pay from available funds reasonable fees and tuition for their executives, officials and employees to attend and the Statewide Personnel Development Center established pursuant to this section.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 1997.