2022 Regular Session
To: Drug Policy
By: Representative Yancey
AN ACT TO CREATE THE "MISSISSIPPI STUDY ON THE AFFORDABILITY OF INSULIN ACT"; TO REQUIRE THE STATE HEALTH OFFICER OF THE MISSISSIPPI STATE DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH TO CONDUCT A STUDY THAT EXAMINES CERTAIN INFORMATION REGARDING DIABETES AND SUBMIT TO THE CHAIRMEN OF BOTH THE HOUSE AND SENATE DRUG POLICY COMMITTEES A REPORT ON SUCH STUDY BY NO LATER THAN DECEMBER 31,2022; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. This act shall be known and may be cited as the "Mississippi Study on the Affordability of Insulin Act."
SECTION 2. The State Health Officer of the Mississippi State Department of Health shall:
(a) Conduct a study that examines:
(i) For each type or classification of diabetes, including Type 1 diabetes, Type 2 diabetes, gestational diabetes and other conditions causing reliance on insulin, the effect of the affordability of insulin on:
1. Adherence to insulin prescriptions;
2. Rates of diabetic ketoacidosis;
3. Downstream impacts of insulin adherence including rates of dialysis treatment and end-stage renal disease;
4. Spending by state health programs in acute episodes that could have been averted by adhering to an insulin prescription; and
5. Other factors, as appropriate, to understand the impacts of insulin affordability on health outcomes and insured and uninsured individuals with diabetes.
(ii) Among the individuals who are unable to afford insulin, the numbers of such individuals:
1. Who are uninsured;
2. Who are covered under private health insurance; and
3. Who are covered under public health insurance programs; and
(b) By no later than December 31, 2022, submit to the chairman of the House Drug Policy Committee and the chairman of the Senate Drug Policy Committee a report on the Mississippi Study on the Affordability of Insulin.
SECTION 3. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 2022.