2021 Regular Session
By: Senator(s) Turner-Ford
AN ACT TO AUTHORIZE A QUALIFIED ELECTOR TO VOTE NOT MORE THAN TEN DAYS BEFORE THE DATE OF AN ELECTION; TO PRESCRIBE CERTAIN CONDITIONS FOR EARLY VOTING LOCATIONS TO BE IMPLEMENTED BY THE SECRETARY OF STATE; TO AMEND SECTION 23-15-195, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, IN CONFORMITY THERETO; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. Early voting. (1) Applicability. This act applies to the following elections:
(a) A primary election;
(b) A general election;
(c) A special election to fill a vacancy in a statewide office, the Legislature or county, municipal or school district office; and
(d) A runoff election.
(2) Early voting; designated locations. The Secretary of State shall designate locations at which a qualified voter, duly registered, may vote in person during not more than ten (10) days before an election, up to and including the Saturday and Sunday immediately before an election.
(3) Designation and publication of early voting locations.
(a) The Secretary of State shall designate and publish the early voting locations at least thirty (30) days before an election.
(b) The Secretary of State shall only designate a location as an early voting location if it meets the requirements of this act.
(c) In an election for a statewide office, at least one (1) early voting location must be designated in each county.
(4) Hours at designated early voting locations.
(a) The Secretary of State shall open the designated early voting locations for at least eight (8) hours on each day of early voting.
(b) The Secretary of State shall close the designated early voting locations no later than 7 p.m. on each day of early voting and shall open the designated early voting locations by 7 a.m. on at least five (5) of the early voting days.
(5) Method of early voting. The Secretary of State shall determine whether early voting occurs by voting machine or paper ballot.
(6) Tabulation of early voting ballots. Early voting ballots must be tabulated at the same time as absentee ballots.
(7) Daily updates of polling records. The Secretary of State shall establish procedures for daily updates of polling records to ensure the integrity of each election.
SECTION 2. Section 23-15-195, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
23-15-195. All elections by
the people shall be by ballot * * *
SECTION 3. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 2021.