2007 Regular Session
To: Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks
By: Senator(s) Posey
AN ACT TO CONSOLIDATE AND RECODIFY WILDLIFE LAWS PERTAINING TO WILD HOGS; TO AMEND SECTIONS 49-7-31.5 AND 49-7-33, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO CONFORM; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. (1) The hunting, taking and trapping of wild hogs shall be governed by this section, notwithstanding any provision of Sections 49-7-13, 49-7-31.5, 49-7-33 and 49-7-59 to the contrary.
(2) Landowners, agricultural leaseholders or their designated agents may take wild hogs year-round on lands owned or leased by them.
(3) Landowners, agricultural leaseholders or their designated agents may take wild hogs during the night after legal hunting hours, with or without the use of a light with a permit from the commission. The commission shall prescribe the permit and the weapons that may be used to take wild hogs after legal hunting hours.
(4) (a) Wild hogs may be taken by the use of traps year-round.
(b) Landowners, agricultural leaseholders or their designated agents may use bait to trap wild hogs as prescribed by the commission.
(5) The meat of legally taken wild hogs may be bought and sold.
(6) The commission may adopt regulations to control wild hog populations and to regulate the taking of wild hogs on public and private lands.
SECTION 2. Section 49-7-31.5, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
49-7-31.5. (1) (a) The hunting of predatory and nuisance animals shall be regulated by the * * * department.
(b) Landowners, agricultural leaseholders or their designated agents may take predatory and nuisance animals year-round on lands owned or leased by them.
(2) The taking of any animal or animals other than beavers, nutria * * * or coyote by the use of a trap or traps is unlawful except during the time the season is open for the taking of fur-bearing animals.
(3) Fox and coyote may be run, chased or pursued with dogs, except as provided in Section 49-7-32, year-round by licensed hunters.
(4) It is unlawful to trap fox after the closed season for trapping of other fur-bearing animals, except on property owned or leased by the person trapping.
SECTION 3. Section 49-7-33, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
49-7-33. (1) It is unlawful to hunt, trap or kill any wild bird or wild animal of any kind with the aid of bait, recordings of bird or animal calls, or electrically amplified imitations of calls of any kind, except a person:
(a) May use electrically amplified sound devices for hunting coyote and crow;
(b) May use liquid scents for any animal or bird; and
(c) May use lures for trapping furbearing animals, beaver, coyote, fox and nutria according to regulations adopted by the commission.
(2) The commission, in its discretion, may relax the restrictions regarding the use of lures or sound devices if a condition arises or exists, as decided by the State Board of Health or county board of health, that may endanger persons or livestock in a certain community, county or area.
* * *
SECTION 4. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after its passage.