2007 Regular Session
To: Education; Appropriations
By: Senator(s) Harden
AN ACT TO CREATE A TASK FORCE TO CONDUCT A STUDY OF THE SELECTION AND GOVERNANCE STRUCTURE OF LOCAL SCHOOL BOARDS IN MISSISSIPPI; TO PROVIDE FOR A REPORT TO THE 2008 REGULAR SESSION OF THE LEGISLATURE; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. (1) There is hereby created a task force to conduct a study of the selection and governance structure of local school boards in Mississippi. The purpose of such study is to review current statutory provisions for the selection of school board members and the forms of governance of school boards and to consider optional methods of selection, composition and authority of school boards in Mississippi which may enhance and promote more efficient operations of school systems. The membership of the task force shall include the following thirteen (13) members:
(a) The Chairman of the Senate Education Committee, who will serve as temporary chairman of the task force;
(b) One (1) member of the Senate appointed by the Lieutenant Governor;
(c) The Chairman of the House of Representatives Education Committee;
(d) One (1) member of the House appointed by the Speaker of the House;
(e) One (1) local school board member appointed by the Mississippi School Boards Association, serving as an elected member of a local board of education;
(f) One (1) local school board member appointed by the Mississippi School Boards Association, serving as an appointed member of a local board of education;
(g) One (1) representative of the business community appointed by the Mississippi Economic Council;
(h) One (1) representative from the Public Education Forum;
(i) One (1) local elected superintendent of education appointed by the Mississippi Association of School Superintendents;
(j) One (1) local appointed superintendent of education appointed by the Mississippi Association of School Superintendents;
(k) One (1) member of the general public appointed by the Lieutenant Governor;
(l) One (1) member of the general public appointed by the Speaker of the House; and
(m) The Executive Director of the Mississippi Development Authority.
(2) The task force shall make a report of its findings and recommendations, including necessary legislation, to the Legislature, the Lieutenant Governor and the Governor for implementation in the 2008 Regular Session. The task force may recommend continuation of its review until the 2009 Regular Session if it is unable to complete its responsibilities.
(3) The temporary chairman of the task force shall call a meeting within thirty (30) days of the effective date of this bill and the task force shall elect a chairman from its membership, in addition to such other officers as it may deem appropriate. A majority of the members of the committee shall constitute a quorum. All members shall be notified in writing of all meetings, such notices to be mailed at least five (5) days prior to the date on which a meeting is to be held.
(4) Legislative members of the task force shall be paid from the contingent expense funds of their respective houses in the same amounts as provided for committee meetings when the Legislature is not in session. Nonlegislative members of the task force who are not state employees or local school district employees shall be reimbursed for actual necessary expenses in attending called meetings of the task force, to be paid from any funds made available for such purpose by the Legislature.
(5) All agencies and divisions of agencies affected by this study and review are hereby directed to cooperate with the task force in formulating and preparing its recommendations.
(6) The task force is empowered to select a consultant or consultants to conduct the study mandated under this section, subject to specific appropriation therefor by the Legislature, and following the applicable regulations of the Personal Service Contract Review Board.
(7) The task force is empowered to utilize staff already employed by the agencies and school districts affected by this study and any other assistance made available to it.
(8) Upon presentation of its final report, the task force shall be dissolved.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after its passage.