2007 Regular Session
By: Representative Staples, Barnett, Chism, Denny, Ellington, Formby, Frierson, Hamilton (109th), Hamilton (6th), Ishee, Markham, Masterson, Moore, Robinson (84th), Shows, Vince, Morgan
AN ACT TO ESTABLISH THE JEFFERSON DAVIS BICENTENNIAL COMMISSION FOR THE PURPOSE OF ORGANIZING AND PLANNING A CELEBRATION IN RECOGNITION OF JEFFERSON DAVIS' 200TH BIRTHDAY; TO PROVIDE THAT THE COMMISSION SHALL STUDY THE LIFE AND HISTORY OF JEFFERSON DAVIS AND MAKE RECOMMENDATIONS TO THE 2008 REGULAR SESSION OF THE LEGISLATURE OF THE MOST APPROPRIATE MANNER OF HONORING THE BICENTENNIAL CELEBRATION OF JEFFERSON DAVIS' BIRTH; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. (1) There is established the Jefferson Davis Bicentennial Commission. The purpose of the commission shall be to inform the public of the impact Jefferson Davis had on the development of our nation, the State of Mississippi and all Confederate States, and find the best possible ways to honor his accomplishments. The duties of the commission shall include:
(a) To study the entire life and history of Jefferson Davis, including his birth, military service, service as President of the Confederate States, political philosophy and his personal achievements;
(b) To recommend to the Mississippi Legislature the activities the commission considers most fitting and proper to honor Jefferson Davis on such occasion, and the entity or entities in Mississippi Government to carry out such activities;
(c) To organize, plan and establish celebratory events in recognition of the bicentennial anniversary of Davis' birth in June 2008; and
(d) Such other duties as the commission deems appropriate.
(2) The commission shall be composed of the following twelve (12) members:
(a) Three (3) members to be appointed by the Governor;
(b) Three (3) members to be appointed by the Lieutenant Governor;
(c) Three (3) advisory members to be appointed by the Speaker of the House; and
(d) Three (3) members to be appointed by the Board of Trustees of the Department of Archives and History, who shall possess knowledge and expertise in Mississippi History.
(3) Appointments to the commission shall be made within thirty (30) days after the effective date of this act. The commission shall hold its first meeting before August 1, 2007. The members of the commission at the time of its meeting shall elect two (2) individuals to serve as co-chairmen of the commission.
(4) A majority of the members of the commission shall constitute a quorum. In the adoption of rules, resolutions and reports, an affirmative vote of a majority of the members shall be required. All members shall be notified in writing of all meetings, such notices to be mailed at least five (5) days before the date on which a meeting is to be held.
(5) Members of the commission shall receive the customary per diem compensation, expense reimbursement and mileage for attending commission meetings as provided in Sections 25-3-41 and 25-3-69.
(6) The commission is authorized to accept funds from any source, public or private, to be expended in implementing its duties under this section
(7) To effectuate the purposes of this section, any department, division, board, bureau, commission or agency of the state or any political subdivision thereof, at the request of the co-chairmen of the commission, shall provide such facilities, assistance and data as will enable the commission to properly carry out its duties.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after its passage.