2007 Regular Session
To: Judiciary A; Appropriations
By: Representative Mims
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 25-31-10, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO PROVIDE AN ADDITIONAL CRIMINAL INVESTIGATOR FOR THE FOURTEENTH CIRCUIT COURT DISTRICT; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. Section 25-31-10, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
25-31-10. (1) Any district attorney may appoint a full-time criminal investigator.
(2) The district attorneys of the Third, Fifth, Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, Twelfth, Fourteenth, Fifteenth, Sixteenth, Seventeenth and Twentieth Circuit Court Districts may appoint one (1) additional full-time criminal investigator for a total of two (2) full-time criminal investigators.
(3) The district attorneys of the First, Second, Fourth and Seventh and Nineteenth Circuit Court Districts may appoint two (2) additional full-time criminal investigators for a total of three (3) full-time criminal investigators.
(4) No district attorney or assistant district attorney shall accept any private employment, civil or criminal, in any matter investigated by such criminal investigators.
(5) The full and complete compensation for all public duties rendered by said criminal investigators shall be not more than Fifty-four Thousand Dollars ($54,000.00) per annum, to be determined at the discretion of the district attorney based upon the qualifications, education and experience of the criminal investigator, plus necessary travel and other expenses, to be paid in accordance with Section 25-31-8. However, the maximum salary under this subsection for a criminal investigator who has a law degree may be supplemented by the district attorney from other available funds, but not to exceed the maximum salary for a legal assistant to a district attorney.
(6) Any criminal investigator may be designated by the district attorney to attend the Law Enforcement Officers Training Program set forth in Section 45-6-1 et seq., Mississippi Code of 1972. The total expenses associated with attendance by criminal investigators at the Law Enforcement Officers Training Program shall be paid out of the funds of the appropriate district attorney.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 2007.