2006 Regular Session
To: Public Health and Human Services
By: Representative Barnett
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 41-58-7, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO AUTHORIZE THE STATE BOARD OF MEDICAL LICENSURE TO LICENSE AND REGULATE THE PRACTICE OF RADIOLOGIST ASSISTANTS; TO DIRECT THE BOARD TO PROMULGATE REASONABLE RULES AND REGULATIONS NECESSARY FOR REGULATING THE PRACTICE OF RADIOLOGIST ASSISTANTS, INCLUDING QUALIFICATIONS FOR LICENSURE, SCOPE OF PRACTICE, DISCIPLINE, AND LICENSURE AND RENEWAL FEES; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. Section 41-58-7, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
41-58-7. (1) The State Board of Medical Licensure shall license and regulate the practice of radiologist assistants in accordance with the provisions of this section.
(2) A radiologist may use the services of a radiologist assistant to practice radiology assistance under the supervision of the radiologist, provided that the radiologist assistant is duly qualified and licensed as provided in this section.
(3) The board shall promulgate and publish reasonable rules and regulations necessary to enable it to discharge its functions and enforce the provisions of law regulating the practice of radiologist assistants. Those rules and regulations shall include, but are not limited to: qualifications for licensure for radiologist assistants; scope of practice of radiologist assistants; supervision of radiologist assistants; identification of radiologist assistants; grounds for disciplinary actions and discipline of radiologist assistants; and setting and charging reasonable fees for licensure and license renewals for radiologist assistants.
(4) * * * Those rules and regulations adopted by the board pertaining to the scope of practice and the educational qualifications necessary to practice as a radiologist assistant shall be consistent with guidelines adopted by the American College of Radiology, the American Society of Radiologic Technologists, and the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists.
(5) Applicants for licensure as a radiologist assistant must be: (a) credentialed to provide radiology services under the supervision of a radiologist; (b) a radiologic technologist registered under Sections 41-58-1 through 41-58-5; and (c) certified and registered with the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists * * *.
(6) A radiologist assistant may not interpret images, make diagnoses or prescribe medications or therapies.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after its passage.