2006 Regular Session
To: Public Health and Human Services
By: Representative Holland
AN ACT TO CREATE A STATEWIDE PROGRAM FOR THE CERTIFICATION OF HEMODIALYSIS TECHNICIANS UNDER THE MISSISSIPPI BOARD OF NURSING; TO PROHIBIT ANY PERSON FROM PRACTICING AS A CERTIFIED HEMODIALYSIS TECHNICIAN OR USING ANY TITLE TO INDICATE THAT THE PERSON IS A CERTIFIED HEMODIALYSIS TECHNICIAN, UNLESS THE PERSON IS CERTIFIED UNDER THIS ACT; TO PRESCRIBE THE POWERS OF THE BOARD OF NURSING REGARDING THE CERTIFICATION OF HEMODIALYSIS TECHNICIANS, TRAINING PROGRAMS, CERTIFICATION EXAMINATIONS AND DISCIPLINARY HEARINGS; TO PRESCRIBE THE QUALIFICATIONS FOR APPLICANTS FOR CERTIFICATION AS A HEMODIALYSIS TECHNICIAN; TO PRESCRIBE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR RENEWAL OF CERTIFICATION; TO AUTHORIZE THE BOARD OF NURSING TO ESTABLISH CERTAIN FEES NECESSARY FOR THE ADMINISTRATION OF THIS ACT; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. (1) A statewide program for certification of hemodialysis technicians is created under the Mississippi Board of Nursing.
(2) Unless certified as a certified hemodialysis technician under this section, no person shall:
(a) Practice as a certified hemodialysis technician; or
(b) Use the title "certified hemodialysis technician," "hemodialysis technician," or other title, abbreviation, letters, figures, signs, or devices to indicate or imply that the person is a certified hemodialysis technician.
(3) The Board of Nursing is authorized and empowered to:
(a) Maintain a permanent register of all certified hemodialysis technicians;
(b) Adopt rules and regulations for certified hemodialysis technician training programs, including standards and curricula;
(c) Provide for periodic evaluation of training programs;
(d) Grant, deny or withdraw approval from a training program that fails to meet prescribed standards or fails to maintain a current contract with the board;
(e) Develop, maintain and administer a certification examination, or grant, deny or withdraw approval of a certification examination(s);
(f) Adopt rules and regulations for certification of hemodialysis technicians by examination, endorsement, renewal and reinstatement; and
(g) Conduct disciplinary hearings of certified hemodialysis technicians concerning the restriction, denial, suspension, revocation and/or discipline of a certificate holder in any manner specified in rules and regulations of the board.
(4) Any applicant for certification to practice as a hemodialysis technician shall submit to the Board of Nursing:
(a) An attested written application on a Board of Nursing form;
(b) A diploma from an approved high school or the equivalent thereof, as determined by the appropriate education agency;
(c) Written official evidence of completion of a hemodialysis technician program approved by the Board of Nursing;
(d) Evidence of competence in English related to health care/nursing if the first language is not English;
(e) Written official evidence that the applicant has passed the certification examination as approved by the Board of Nursing; and
(f) Any other official records required by the Board of Nursing.
The Board of Nursing may, in its discretion, refuse to accept the application of any person who has been convicted of a criminal offense under any provision of Title 97 of the Mississippi Code of 1972, or any offense listed in Section 43-11-13(5), or any sex offense included in Section 45-33-23(g), as now or hereafter amended.
(5) Every certificate issued by the Board of Nursing to practice as a certified hemodialysis technician shall be renewed every two (2) years. The certified hemodialysis technician seeking renewal shall submit proof of employment as a certified hemodialysis technician, proof of having met continuing education
requirements adopted by the Board of Nursing and any other official records required by the Board of Nursing.
(6) The Board of Nursing shall establish nonrefundable fees necessary for the administration of this section, including, but not limited to, fees for initial certification by initial or later examination, renewal of certification, reinstatement of a lapsed certificate, endorsement, initial review and approval of a training program, and later review and approval of a training program.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 2006.