2005 Regular Session
To: Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks
By: Senator(s) Posey
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 59-21-19, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO INCREASE THE TERM OF THE BOAT REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE TO THREE YEARS; TO AMEND SECTION 59-21-25, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO REVISE FEES; TO REVISE THE LENGTH OF BOAT CATEGORIES FOR FEES; TO AMEND SECTION 59-21-5, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO REMOVE INCORRECT REFERENCE TO UNDOCUMENTED VESSEL; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. Section 59-21-19, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
59-21-19. (1) The certificate of number shall be pocket-size, approximately two and one-half (2-1/2) inches by three and one-half (3-1/2) inches, and water resistant.
(2) Pending the issuance of the original certificate of number, the owner of the vessel may be furnished a temporary certificate of number valid for sixty (60) days from the date of issue. This temporary certificate shall be carried on board when the vessel is being operated.
(3) Each applicant for an original or transfer certificate of number, who is entitled to issuance thereof, shall be issued a certificate for a period of three (3) years from the last day of the month of receipt of the original or transfer certificate. This subsection shall not apply to the certificate of number of a livery boat.
(4) The certificate of number of a livery boat shall be plainly marked "livery boat." The description of the motor and type of fuel will be omitted from the certificate of number in any case where the motor is not rented with the boat. Original and renewal certificates of number of a livery boat shall be valid for a period of three (3) years and shall expire at midnight on June 30 of each triennial.
(5) Numbers and certificates of number awarded boats operated by manufacturers and dealers may be transferred from one boat to another. In lieu of the description, the word "manufacturer" or "dealer," as appropriate, will be plainly marked on each certificate. The manufacturer or dealer may have the number awarded printed upon or attached to a removable sign or signs to be temporarily mounted upon or attached to the boat being demonstrated or tested so long as the display meets the requirements of Section 59-21-9.
SECTION 2. Section 59-21-25, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
59-21-25. (1) Fees for the award of certificates of number for original, transfer, renewal, livery, dealer and duplicate shall be as follows:
(a) Less than 16 feet........................$ 24.00
(b) 16 feet but less than 26 feet............$ 42.00
(c) 26 feet but less than 40 feet........... $ 74.00
(d) 40 feet but less than 65 feet............$108.00
(e) 65 feet and over.........................$138.00
(f) Dealer number............................$ 60.00
(g) Duplicate................................$ 6.00
(h) Boat inspection fee......................$ 10.00
(2) All fees for numbers and renewal of number shall be payable to the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks to be deposited by the department in the State Treasury in a special fund to be designated as the Fisheries and Wildlife Fund, which shall be disbursed upon the recommendation of the department as may be appropriated by the Legislature. The State Treasurer shall release to the department such sums as are required to defray all administrative costs of the boat registration fee division of the department and to improve the law enforcement capability of the department on the inland and marine waters of the State of Mississippi and as may be budgeted by the department for the purpose of paying the cost of the administration of this chapter for education on water safety, improvement of water safety and motorboating facilities in the state, and advertising and promoting the waterways of the state. Any and all revenue over and above the actual administrative cost of implementing this act shall be used to fund salaries of additional conservation officers in all eighty-two (82) counties.
SECTION 3. Section 59-21-5, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
59-21-5. All sailboats and every * * * vessel equipped with propulsion machinery, whether or not such machinery is the principal source of propulsion, using the territorial and navigable waters of the State of Mississippi, and every such vessel owned in the State of Mississippi and using the high seas shall be numbered in accordance with this chapter, except:
(a) Foreign vessels temporarily using the navigable waters of the State of Mississippi;
(b) Public vessels of the United States;
(c) State and municipal vessels used solely for official business and displaying proper visual identification on its hull;
(d) Ships' lifeboats;
(e) Vessels designated by the appropriate federal authority;
(f) Undocumented vessels used exclusively for racing;
(g) Undocumented vessels operating under valid temporary certificates of number;
(h) Vessels already covered by a number in full force and effect awarded pursuant to federal law, or a federally approved numbering system of another state, provided that such vessels shall not have been within this state for a period in excess of sixty (60) days. Nothing in this section shall prohibit the numbering of any undocumented vessel upon the request of the owner.
SECTION 4. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 2005.