2005 Regular Session
By: Senator(s) Gollott
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 27-19-56.27, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO REAUTHORIZE THE ISSUANCE OF A DISTINCTIVE MOTOR VEHICLE LICENSE TAG FOR SUPPORTERS OF THE MISSISSIPPI DEPARTMENT OF MARINE RESOURCES; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. Section 27-19-56.27, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
27-19-56.27. (1) Beginning with any registration year commencing on or after July 1, 2005, owners of motor vehicles upon complying with the motor vehicle laws relating to registration and licensing of motor vehicles, and upon payment of the road and bridge privilege taxes, ad valorem taxes and registration fees as prescribed by law for private carriers of passengers, pickup trucks and other noncommercial motor vehicles, and upon payment of an additional annual fee in the amount of Thirty Dollars ($30.00), shall be issued a special license tag which displays an emblem designed by the Department of Marine Resources.
(2) The distinctive license tag shall be of such color and design as the State Tax Commission, with the advice of the Department of Marine Resources, may prescribe and shall consist of such letters or numbers or both as may be necessary to distinguish each license tag.
(3) Application for the special license tags shall be made to the county tax collector on forms prescribed by the State Tax Commission. The application and the additional fee, less five percent (5%) thereof to be retained by the tax collector, shall be remitted to the State Tax Commission on a monthly basis as prescribed by the commission. The portion of the additional fee retained by the tax collector shall be deposited into the county general fund.
(4) The special license tag shall be issued for a one-year period. The additional annual fee shall be due and payable at the time of renewal registration.
(5) The State Tax Commission shall deposit all fees into the State Treasury on the day received. At the end of each month, the State Tax Commission shall certify the total fees collected under this section to the State Treasurer who shall distribute such collections as follows:
(a) Twenty Dollars ($20.00) of each additional fee collected on special license tags issued pursuant to this section shall be deposited into the Artificial Reef Program Account in the Seafood Fund created pursuant to Section 49-15-17.
(b) One Dollar ($1.00) of each additional fee collected on special license tags shall be deposited into the Mississippi Fire Fighter's Memorial Burn Center Fund created pursuant to Section 7-9-70.
(c) The remainder of each such additional fee shall be deposited to the credit of the State Highway Fund to be expended solely for the repair, maintenance, construction or reconstruction of highways.
(6) In the case of loss or theft of a distinctive license tag issued under this section, the owner may make application and affidavit for a replacement distinctive license tag as provided by Section 27-19-37. The fee for a replacement distinctive license tag shall be Ten Dollars ($10.00). The tax collector receiving such application and affidavit shall be entitled to retain and deposit into the county general fund five percent (5%) of the fee for such replacement license tag and the remainder shall be distributed in the same manner as funds from the sale of regular distinctive license tags issued under this section.
(7) In order for a distinctive license tag to be issued under this section, the provisions of Section 27-19-44(2) must be satisfied prior to July 1, 2008.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 2005.