2005 Regular Session
To: Marine Resources
By: Representative Patterson
AN ACT TO PROVIDE THAT NO SHRIMP PRODUCT SHALL BE OFFERED FOR DIRECT RETAIL SALE FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION UNLESS THE SHRIMP PRODUCT IS LABELED AS A PRODUCT OF THIS COUNTRY OR AS IMPORTED SHRIMP, A PRODUCT OF A COUNTRY OTHER THAN THE UNITED STATES; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. (1) No shrimp product shall be offered for direct retail sale for human consumption by a processor, distributor or wholesaler, unless the shrimp product is specifically labeled in the following manner:
(a) "SHRIMP, A PRODUCT OF THE UNITED STATES" if the product originates from the United States.
(b) "IMPORTED SHRIMP, A PRODUCT OF A COUNTRY OTHER THAN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" if the product originates from a country other than the United States of America.
(2) Any person selling shrimp exclusively and directly to the consumer may have on his premises a sign reasonably visible to the consumer identifying such product as "Shrimp, a Product of the United States" or "Imported Shrimp, A Product of a Country Other Than the United States of America" as such products are defined in this section, rather than labeling each individual container or package of shrimp product, as provided in this section.
(3) Any advertising by a processor, distributor or wholesaler as to any shrimp product shall state whether such shrimp product is "Shrimp, a Product of the United States," or "Imported Shrimp, A Product of a Country Other Than the United States of America" as defined in this section.
(4) This section shall not apply to shrimp products exported out of the United States.
(5) The Department of Marine Resources is authorized to promulgate such rules and regulations to implement the provisions of this section.
(6) The provisions of this section shall not apply to any business in which prepared seafood is served.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 2005.