2005 Regular Session
To: Public Health and Human Services
By: Representative Holland
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTIONS 41-89-1 AND 41-89-3, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO DELETE THE AUTOMATIC REPEALER ON THE STATUTES CREATING THE INFANT MORTALITY TASK FORCE; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. Section 41-89-1, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
41-89-1. (1) There is created the Infant Mortality Task Force, the purpose of which is to foster the reduction of infant mortality and morbidity in Mississippi and to improve the health status of mothers and infants.
(2) The Infant Mortality Task Force is continued and reconstituted as follows: The task force shall be composed of eleven (11) voting members appointed as follows:
(a) The Governor shall appoint seven (7) members, with two (2) from each Mississippi Supreme Court district and one (1) from the state at large.
(b) The Lieutenant Governor shall appoint two (2) members from the state at large.
(c) The Speaker of the House of Representatives shall appoint two (2) members from the state at large.
(d) The task force shall be comprised of persons with a professional association with or special interest in maternal and infant health and well-being.
(e) Any member of the Infant Mortality Task Force appointed and serving prior to July 1, 1995, shall be eligible for reappointment to the task force.
(3) The Governor shall appoint two (2) members for initial terms that expire on June 30, 1996, two (2) members for initial terms that expire on June 30, 1997, and three (3) members for initial terms that expire on June 30, 1998. The Lieutenant Governor and Speaker of the House of Representatives shall appoint one (1) member for an initial term that expires on June 30, 1997, and one (1) member for an initial term that expires on June 30, 1998. Thereafter, all members shall be appointed for terms of three (3) years from the expiration of the previous term. No member shall serve more than two (2) successive full terms. Any vacancy occurring other than by expiration of a term shall be filled for the unexpired term by the appropriate appointing authority. An appointment to fill an unexpired term shall not be considered as a full term.
(4) The administrative head of the following state agencies shall designate one (1) employee to serve in an advisory capacity as an ex officio, nonvoting member of the Infant Mortality Task Force: (a) Mississippi Department of Health; (b) State Department of Education; (c) Department of Human Services; (d) Mississippi Department of Mental Health; (e) Division of Medicaid; and (f) the University Medical Center. In addition there shall be one (1) member of the Mississippi Primary Health Care Association who shall serve in an advisory capacity as an ex officio nonvoting member.
(5) The Chairman of the Senate Public Health and Welfare Committee and one (1) member of the committee to be designated by the chairman, and the Chairman of the House Public Health and Welfare Committee and one (1) member of the committee to be designated by the chairman shall serve in an advisory capacity as ex officio nonvoting members of the Infant Mortality Task Force.
* * *
SECTION 2. Section 41-89-3, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
41-89-3. (1) The Chairman of the Infant Mortality Task Force shall be elected annually by the task force membership. The task force shall adopt bylaws and rules for its efficient operation, which may include designation of its organizational structure including other officers and committees, duties of officers and committees, a process for selecting officers, quorum requirements for committees, provisions for special or ad hoc committees, staff policies and other such procedures as may be necessary. The task force may establish committees responsible for conducting specific task force programs or activities.
(2) The task force shall be assigned to the State Department of Health for administrative purposes only, and the department shall designate staff to assist the task force. The task force shall have a line item in the budget of the State Department of Health and shall be financed through the department's annual appropriation. Members of the task force may receive, within the funds appropriated, reimbursement for travel expenses incurred while engaged in official business of the task force.
(3) The task force shall meet and conduct business at least quarterly. All meetings of the task force and any committees of the task force shall be open to the public, with opportunities for public comment provided on a regular basis. Notice of all meetings shall be given as provided in the Open Meetings Act (Section 25-41-1 et seq.) and appropriate notice also shall be given to all persons so requesting of the date, time and place of each meeting.
(4) The Infant Mortality Task Force, in conjunction with the State Department of Health, the Department of Human Services, the State Department of Education and the Division of Medicaid, shall develop and implement a campaign for intensive outreach to high risk populations in Mississippi to encourage them to avail themselves of family planning, prenatal care and infant health services.
(5) The Infant Mortality Task Force may apply for and expend grants or other contributions for the purpose of promoting maternal and infant health in Mississippi.
* * *
SECTION 3. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after June 30, 2005.