2005 Regular Session
By: Representative Fleming
AN ACT TO CREATE THE NATCHEZ TRACE PARKWAY TASK FORCE; TO PROVIDE FOR THE MEMBERSHIP OF THE TASK FORCE; TO DESCRIBE THE PURPOSE OF THE TASK FORCE; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. (1) There is created the Natchez Trace Parkway Task Force that will be responsible for studying the zoning regulations, permit procedures and tourism development along the Natchez Trace Parkway. The task force will serve as a consensus group designed to study efforts to improve regulations and development, and increase tourist interest for the Natchez Trace Parkway.
(2) The task force will consist of fifteen (15) members. Membership of the task force will include one (1) representative from each of the following agencies or entities, as designated by each respective agency or entity:
(a) Natchez Trace Parkway Commission;
(b) Mississippi Municipal League;
(c) Mississippi Archives and History Department;
(d) Home Builder's Association of Mississippi;
(e) Mississippi Economic Council;
(f) Mississippi Department of Transportation;
(g) Mississippi Tourism Association;
(h) Natchez Trace Parkway Association;
(i) Mississippi Realtor's Association;
(j) Mississippi Appraiser's Association;
(k) Mississippi Association of Supervisors.
(3) In addition to the members designated in subsection (2)of this section, membership of the task force will consist of the following persons:
(a) The Chairperson of the Mississippi House of Representatives Tourism Committee;
(b) One (1) senator appointed by the Lieutenant Governor;
(c) Two (2) landowners from the Natchez Trace Parkway area appointed by the Governor;
(4) At its first meeting, the task force shall elect a chairman and other necessary officers from among its membership. The chairman and other officers shall be elected annually by the task force. The task force shall adopt bylaws and rules for its efficient operation. The task force may establish committees that will be responsible for conducting specific task force programs or activities.
(5) All meetings of the task force and any committees of the task force will be open to the public, with opportunities for public comment provided on a regular basis. Notice of all meetings shall be given as provided in the Open Meetings Act in Section 25-41-1 et seq., and appropriate notice also shall be given to all persons requesting the date, time and place of each meeting. Eight (8) members of the task force will constitute a quorum for the transaction of business.
(6) The task force is assigned to the Legislature for administrative purposes only, and the Legislature shall designate staff to assist the task force. Members of the task force may not receive per diem.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 2005.