2004 Regular Session
By: Senator(s) Hewes, Brown, Kirby, Moffatt, Nunnelee, Ross, Thomas, Clarke, Gollott, Doxey, Browning, Butler, Chaney, Dearing, Harvey, Jackson (15th), Jackson (11th), Jordan, King, Lee (35th), Little, Posey, White
A CONCURRENT RESOLUTION URGING GOVERNMENT LEADERS AND CITIZENS TO PROMOTE THE FAMILY INSTITUTION AS THE FUNDAMENTAL UNIT OF MISSISSIPPI SOCIETY TO DESIGNATE 2004 AS THE "TENTH ANNIVERSARY OF THE INTERNATIONAL YEAR OF THE FAMILY."
WHEREAS, the President of the United States has recently and repeatedly emphasized that the strength of the nation depends upon the strength of the family, and has called upon all to "recommit ourselves to strengthen our nation by strengthening our families"; and
WHEREAS, it is universally recognized that "the family is the natural and fundamental group unit of society and is entitled to protection by society and the state"; and
WHEREAS, the United Nations has proclaimed the year 2004 as the Tenth Anniversary of the International Year of the Family in order to, among other things, "increase awareness of family issues among governments as well as in the private sector"; and
WHEREAS, the institution of the family is now being undermined and threatened by various cultural, social, political, legal and economic forces that are weakening the bonds between husband and wife, parent and child and the generations, and wreaking consequential harm and havoc throughout society:
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE SENATE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI, THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES CONCURRING THEREIN, That:
1. The State of Mississippi declares that the family exists prior to the state and is the very foundation of our communities and the bedrock of our nation, continuing to be the most fundamental unit of society, the basis and bastion of civilization and progress since time immemorial, and the continuing hope of mankind.
2. The State of Mississippi declares that the family, ideally founded on marriage between husband and wife is the cradle of life and love for each new generation, the primary source of identity, self-esteem and support, and the first and foremost school of life, being uniquely suited to teach children integrity, character, morals, responsibility, service and wisdom and thereby transmitting timeless values to future generations.
3. The State of Mississippi recognizes the urgent need for measures designed to promote family happiness and stability by promoting loving and faithful marriages, and by encouraging greater love and loyalty among all family members, increased connection and communication between parents and children, and more involvement of both fathers and mothers in raising children in a positive and healthy environment and in teaching them values and morals essential to personal fulfillment and the success of society.
4. The State of Mississippi urges all citizens and communities, and all organizations and institutions in all sectors of society, to proactively promote those measures designed to protect, defend and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society.
5. The State of Mississippi further urges government leaders, officials and representatives in all levels and branches of government, with respect to all legislative, executive, administrative and judicial action, to promote those measures designed to protect, defend and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society.
6. The State of Mississippi calls upon leaders and people of influence in media, entertainment, education, business, the arts and religion to help reverse the cultural bias against the family and family values.
7. We further call upon all citizens and communities, and all organizations and institutions in all sectors of society, to help support, sponsor, organize and participate in appropriate activities and event designed to promote and protect the family as the fundamental unit of society in celebration of 2004 as the "Tenth Anniversary of the International Year of the Family."
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, That this resolution be forwarded to the Governor for dissemination to all appropriate state agencies, local governmental agencies and forwarded to Mississippi Educational Television for development and dissemination of public service announcements.