2004 Regular Session
By: Representative Stringer, Brown
AN ACT TO DIRECT THE STATE TREASURER TO TRANSFER CERTAIN SPECIAL FUNDS INTO THE WORKING CASH-STABILIZATION RESERVE FUND AND THE BUDGET CONTINGENCY FUND DURING FISCAL YEAR 2004; TO AMEND SECTION 43-13-113, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO INCREASE THE AUTHORIZED LINE OF CREDIT FOR THE DIVISION OF MEDICAID TO USE FOR BUDGET SHORTFALLS AND TO PROVIDE THAT THE LINE OF CREDIT MAY BE FROM COMMERCIAL RESOURCES; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. The State Treasurer shall transfer to the Working Cash-Stabilization Reserve Fund created in Section 27-103-203, out of the following enumerated fund, the amount listed below throughout the period beginning upon passage of this act and through June 30, 2004:
Agency/Fund Fund No. Amount
Federal Fiscal Assistance
Grant Fund 3997 $32,016,028.00
SECTION 2. The State Treasurer shall transfer to the Budget Contingency Fund created in Section 27-103-301, out of the following enumerated fund, the amount listed below throughout the period beginning upon passage of this act and through June 30, 2004:
Agency/Fund Fund No. Amount
Fund 3992 $28,000,000.00
SECTION 3. Section 43-13-113, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
43-13-113. (1) The State Treasurer shall receive on behalf of the state, and execute all instruments incidental thereto, federal and other funds to be used for financing the medical assistance plan or program adopted pursuant to this article, and place all such funds in a special account to the credit of the Governor's Office-Division of Medicaid, which funds shall be expended by the division for the purposes and under the provisions of this article, and shall be paid out by the State Treasurer as funds appropriated to carry out the provisions of this article are paid out by him.
The division shall issue all checks or electronic transfers for administrative expenses, and for medical assistance under the provisions of this article. All such checks or electronic transfers shall be drawn upon funds made available to the division by the State Auditor, upon requisition of the director. It is the purpose of this section to provide that the State Auditor shall transfer, in lump sums, amounts to the division for disbursement under the regulations which shall be made by the director with the approval of the Governor; however, the division, or its fiscal agent in behalf of the division, shall be authorized in maintaining separate accounts with a Mississippi bank to handle claim payments, refund recoveries and related Medicaid program financial transactions, to aggressively manage the float in these accounts while awaiting clearance of checks or electronic transfers and/or other disposition so as to accrue maximum interest advantage of the funds in the account, and to retain all earned interest on these funds to be applied to match federal funds for Medicaid program operations.
(2) The division is authorized to obtain a line of credit through the State Treasurer from the Working Cash-Stabilization Fund or any other special source funds maintained in the State Treasury in an amount not exceeding One Hundred Fifty Million Dollars ($150,000,000.00) to fund shortfalls which, from time to time, may occur due to decreases in state matching fund cash flow. The length of indebtedness under this provision shall not carry past the end of the quarter following the loan origination. Loan proceeds shall be received by the State Treasurer and shall be placed in a Medicaid designated special fund account. Loan proceeds shall be expended only for health care services provided under the Medicaid program. The division may pledge as security for such interim financing future funds that will be received by the division. Any such loans shall be repaid from the first available funds received by the division in the manner of and subject to the same terms provided in this section.
In the event the State Treasurer makes a determination that special source funds are not sufficient to cover a line of credit for the Division of Medicaid, the division is authorized to obtain a line of credit, in an amount not exceeding One Hundred Fifty Million Dollars ($150,000,000.00), from a commercial lender or a consortium of lenders. The length of indebtedness under this provision shall not carry past the end of the quarter following the loan origination. The division shall obtain a minimum of two (2) written quotes that shall be presented to the State Fiscal Officer and State Treasurer, who shall jointly select a lender. Loan proceeds shall be received by the State Treasurer and shall be placed in a Medicaid designated special fund account. Loan proceeds shall be expended only for health care services provided under the Medicaid program. The division may pledge as security for such interim financing future funds that will be received by the division. Any such loans shall be repaid from the first available funds received by the division in the manner of and subject to the same terms provided in this section.
(3) Disbursement of funds to providers shall be made as follows:
(a) All providers must submit all claims to the Division of Medicaid's fiscal agent no later than twelve (12) months from the date of service.
(b) The Division of Medicaid's fiscal agent must pay ninety percent (90%) of all clean claims within thirty (30) days of the date of receipt.
(c) The Division of Medicaid's fiscal agent must pay ninety-nine percent (99%) of all clean claims within ninety (90) days of the date of receipt.
(d) The Division of Medicaid's fiscal agent must pay all other claims within twelve (12) months of the date of receipt.
(e) If a claim is neither paid nor denied for valid and proper reasons by the end of the time periods as specified above, the Division of Medicaid's fiscal agent must pay the provider interest on the claim at the rate of one and one-half percent (1-1/2%) per month on the amount of such claim until it is finally settled or adjudicated.
(4) The date of receipt is the date the fiscal agent receives the claim as indicated by its date stamp on the claim or, for those claims filed electronically, the date of receipt is the date of transmission.
(5) The date of payment is the date of the check or, for those claims paid by electronic funds transfer, the date of the transfer.
(6) The above specified time limitations do not apply in the following circumstances:
(a) Retroactive adjustments paid to providers reimbursed under a retrospective payment system;
(b) If a claim for payment under Medicare has been filed in a timely manner, the fiscal agent may pay a Medicaid claim relating to the same services within six (6) months after it, or the provider, receives notice of the disposition of the Medicare claim;
(c) Claims from providers under investigation for fraud or abuse; and
(d) The Division of Medicaid and/or its fiscal agent may make payments at any time in accordance with a court order, to carry out hearing decisions or corrective actions taken to resolve a dispute, or to extend the benefits of a hearing decision, corrective action, or court order to others in the same situation as those directly affected by it.
(8) If sufficient funds are appropriated therefor by the Legislature, the Division of Medicaid may contract with the Mississippi Dental Association, or an approved designee, to develop and operate a Donated Dental Services (DDS) program through which volunteer dentists will treat needy disabled, aged and medically-compromised individuals who are non-Medicaid eligible recipients.
SECTION 4. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after its passage.