2004 Regular Session
To: Universities and Colleges
By: Representative Young, Carlton
AN ACT TO CREATE THE MISSISSIPPI EDUCATION GRANT WRITING TEAM FOR THE PURPOSES OF RESEARCHING AND WRITING FOR ANY EDUCATION GRANTS THAT THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI QUALIFIES TO RECEIVE; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. (1) There is created the Mississippi Education Grant Writing Team. The team shall research and apply for any education grants, including those for elementary, secondary and post-secondary education, that the State of Mississippi is qualified to receive.
(2) The members of the Mississippi Education Grant Writing Team shall consist of four (4) members, one (1) from each congressional district, to be appointed by the Governor. The members shall serve for a term of three (3) years and may be reappointed by the Governor for additional terms. Initial appointments shall be made within thirty (30) days after the effective date of this act.
(3) The compensation of the members of the Mississippi Education Grant Writing Team shall be a percentage of the grant monies received by the State of Mississippi to be determined on a case by case basis.
(4) The Mississippi Education Grant Writing Team shall be assigned to the Governor's Office for administrative purposes only, and the Governor's Office shall designate staff to assist the team.
(5) All agencies, departments, offices and institutions of the state, including the State Department of Education, the Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning, public schools, state universities and the community and junior colleges, shall cooperate with the Mississippi Education Grant Writing Team with such assistance as requested by the team.
(6) Before December 1, 2004, the task force shall make a report of its work and recommendations for action, and it shall submit a copy of the report to the Legislature and the Governor.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 2004.