2004 Regular Session
To: Ways and Means
By: Representative Chism, Nicholson, Robinson (84th)
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 27-19-56.63, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO AUTHORIZE THE ISSUANCE OF MORE THAN ONE DISTINCTIVE LICENSE TAG TO A PERSON WHO IS DIABETIC OR WHO IS AN IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBER OR CAREGIVER OF A PERSON WHO IS DIABETIC; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. Section 27-19-56.63, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
27-19-56.63. (1) Upon application by any legal resident of the State of Mississippi who is diabetic or who is an immediate family member or caregiver of a person who is diabetic, the State Tax Commission shall prepare and issue through the county tax collectors a special license plate for each motor vehicle that is registered in the applicant's name. The initial application shall be accompanied by the certification of a licensed physician that the applicant (a) meets the definition of a diabetic as set forth in subsection (2) of this section, or (b) is an immediate family member or caregiver of a person who meets the definition of a diabetic as set forth in subsection (2) of this section. For the purposes of this section, the term "immediate family member" means the applicant's spouse, father or mother, or a brother, sister or child of the applicant. Except as otherwise provided, an applicant for the special license plate shall not be required to pay any fee or charge for the issuance of such license plate separate from or in addition to the road and bridge privilege taxes, ad valorem taxes and registration fees otherwise required by law to be paid for the issuance of a regular license plate for the vehicle. The special license plate shall be of such color and design as the State Tax Commission may prescribe and shall consist of such letters, numbers or both as may be necessary to distinguish each license plate.
(2) For the purpose of this section, the term "diabetic" means a person who is affected with diabetes, including Type I, Type II, gestational or any secondary form of diabetes regardless of mode of treatment, age of onset or duration of the disease.
(3) Application for the distinctive license tags authorized by this section shall be made to the county tax collector on forms prescribed by the State Tax Commission. The application and the additional fee imposed under subsection (4) of this section, less Two Dollars ($2.00) thereof to be retained by the tax collector, shall be remitted to the State Tax Commission on a monthly basis as prescribed by the commission. The portion of the additional fee retained by the tax collector shall be deposited into the county general fund.
(4) Beginning with any registration year commencing on or after July 1, 2003, any person other than a person who is diabetic applying for a distinctive tag under this section shall pay an additional fee in the amount of Thirty Dollars ($30.00) for each distinctive license tag applied for under this section, which shall be in addition to all other taxes and fees. The additional fee shall be for a period of time to run concurrent with the vehicle's established license tag year. The additional fee is due and payable at the time the original application is made for distinctive license tags under this section and thereafter annually at the time of renewal registration as long as the owner retains the distinctive license tag.
(5) The State Tax Commission shall deposit all fees into the State Treasury on the day collected. At the end of each month, the State Tax Commission shall certify the total fees collected under this section to the State Treasurer who shall distribute such collections as follows:
(a) Twenty-four Dollars ($24.00) of each additional fee collected on special license tags issued pursuant to this section shall be deposited into the special fund created under Section 27-19-56.69(8).
(b) One Dollar ($1.00) of each additional fee collected on special license tags issued pursuant to this section shall be deposited into the Mississippi Fire Fighter's Memorial Burn Center Fund created pursuant to Section 7-9-70.
(c) Two Dollars ($2.00) of each additional fee collected on special tags issued pursuant to this section shall be deposited to the credit of the State Highway Fund to be expended only for the repair, maintenance, construction or reconstruction of highways.
(d) One Dollar ($1.00) of each additional fee collected on distinctive license tags issued pursuant to this section shall be deposited to the credit of the special fund created in Section 27-19-44.2.
(6) A regular license tag must be properly displayed as required by law until replaced by a distinctive license tag under this section. The regular license tag must be surrendered to the tax collector upon issuance of the distinctive license tag under this section. The tax collector shall issue a month and year license decal for each distinctive license tag issued under this section, which will expire the same month and year as the license tag.
(7) In case of loss or theft of a distinctive license tag issued under this section, the owner may make application and affidavit for a replacement distinctive license tag as provided in Section 27-19-37. The fee for a replacement distinctive license tag shall be Ten Dollars ($10.00). The tax collector receiving such application and affidavit shall be entitled to retain and deposit into the county general fund five percent (5%) of the fee for such replacement license tag and the remainder shall be distributed in the same manner as funds from the sale of regular distinctive license tags issued under this section.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 2004.