2003 Regular Session
By: Senator(s) Hyde-Smith, Dearing
A RESOLUTION COMMENDING AND CONGRATULATING THE SOUTH MCCOMB BAPTIST CHURCH MEMBERSHIP UPON THEIR 100TH ANNIVERSARY.
WHEREAS, the South McComb Baptist Church membership will celebrate an exceptional milestone, their 100-year anniversary, on March 30, 2003; and
WHEREAS, South McComb Baptist Church was founded in early 1902 by Mr. and Mrs. S. Murray Wilson, and because of an historical phenomenon, which was the combination of two churches, South McComb Baptist Church is in existence today; and
WHEREAS, Whitestown Baptist Church, which was organized on January 27, 1894, passed a resolution on November 7, 1902, that read as follows: "That if the Baptist people in South McComb are willing to purchase a lot in South McComb and build a house for Baptist worship and to hold their membership in it, the Baptist people in Whitestown are willing to join them in the effort to build the house, and to hold our membership with them," and five months later these two committees were in the process of building the first South McComb church building together; and
WHEREAS, for the first 50 years, South McComb Baptist Church had only four Pastors, the first of whom was Reverend J.P. Hemby, the second Pastor was Reverend J.H. Lane, the third Pastor was Reverend R.R. Jones, and the fourth Pastor was James A. Bryant; and
WHEREAS, a Sunday School was implemented immediately following the organization of the church, a Woman's Missionary Society was active as early as 1905, and a Brotherhood was organized in 1946; church members voted to appoint a building committee for a Pastor's home on December 4, 1921; the educational annex was built in 1949, and the basement of the church was completely remodeled in 1951; and
WHEREAS, Reverend C.F. Barnes moved to South McComb from Wesson, Mississippi, to serve as Pastor in October 1953, and Reverend Herman P. Hayes of Bossier City, Louisiana, accepted the Pastorate of South McComb Baptist Church in July 1956, and Brother and Mrs. Hayes served South McComb Baptist Church until July 1959, at which time they departed for South Vietnam under appointment of the Foreign Mission Board, and Reverend W.R. Gifford moved to South McComb Baptist Church from Picayune, Mississippi, in December 1959; and
WHEREAS, the church built an educational building that served eight elementary departments and dedication services were held for the new elementary building in May 1963; and
WHEREAS, Reverend David A. Millican, who moved to South McComb Baptist Church from Stonewall, Mississippi, began his service on July 15, 1963, and in September 1964, the church voted to proceed with plans to build a new auditorium, which was completed and dedicated in September 1965; and
WHEREAS, in September 1965, Reverend Millican started the Kindergarten Ministry of South McComb Baptist Church, which at one time was the largest kindergarten in Southwest Mississippi, and the kindergarten has been a strong ministry of South McComb Baptist Church for 38 years; and
WHEREAS, a new bell tower was constructed on the west side of the sanctuary and dedicated on Bi-Centennial Sunday, July 4, 1976, and the 75th Anniversary Celebration was held on September 17, 1978, with Dr. Earl Kelly, Executive Director-Treasurer of the Mississippi Baptist Convention Board as guest speaker; and
WHEREAS, Dr. Michael Johnson was called as Pastor in August 1996, and Reverend Ted C. Bowlin of Monticello, Mississippi, was called as Pastor on October 11, 1998; and
WHEREAS, looking back over the last 100 years of ministry of the church, it is evident that the Lord has guided South McComb Baptist Church every step of the way, and as the church begins a new time of service and outreach for the Lord, we recognize this outstanding church which has been a remarkable inspiration to people throughout Mississippi and the world:
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE SENATE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI, That we commend and congratulate South McComb Baptist Church upon their 100-year anniversary, and we wish them every success in all their future endeavors.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, That copies of this resolution be furnished to South McComb Baptist Church and to members of the Capitol Press Corps.