2003 Regular Session
By: Senator(s) Jordan
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 45-11-251, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO REVISE THE COMPOSITION OF THE MISSISSIPPI FIRE PERSONNEL MINIMUM STANDARDS AND CERTIFICATION BOARD; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. Section 45-11-251, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
45-11-251. (1) There is hereby created the Mississippi Fire Personnel Minimum Standards and Certification Board. The board shall consist of thirteen (13) members. * * * The Director of the State Fire Academy shall serve as an ex officio member with voting privileges only in the capacity of a tie breaker. The Director of the State Fire Academy shall serve as secretary to the board.
(2) The Commissioner of Insurance shall appoint the remaining members of the Mississippi Fire Personnel Minimum Standards and Certification Board as selected by the Mississippi Municipal Fire Chiefs Association and the Mississippi Fire Fighters Association. Twelve (12) members shall be selected from the State Fire Academy District Map, one (1) from each district, and shall be selected as follows:
(a) Five (5) career * * * fire fighters * * * selected by the Mississippi Fire Fighters Association;
(b) Seven (7) career chief officers * * * selected by the Mississippi Municipal Fire Chiefs Association;
* * *
* * * After the expiration of the initial term, the term shall be three (3) years.
* * *
No member selected under this subsection shall serve more than two (2) terms. Any member missing three (3) consecutive meetings shall be deemed to have resigned from the board. A vacancy prior to the expiration of a term shall be filled by selection in the same manner and for the balance of the unexpired term.
(3) During his term, a member of the board shall not serve as a member of the State Fire Academy Advisory Board.
(4) The board shall select a chairman and vice chairman from its membership.
(5) The Department of Insurance shall provide administrative support for the board.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 2003.