2003 Regular Session
To: Public Health and Welfare
By: Representative Ford
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 41-89-3, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO EXTEND THE REPEALER ON CERTAIN PROVISIONS APPLICABLE TO THE INFANT MORTALITY TASK FORCE; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. Section 41-89-3, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
41-89-3. (1) The Chairman of the Infant Mortality Task Force shall be elected annually by the task force membership. The task force shall adopt bylaws and rules for its efficient operation, which may include designation of its organizational structure including other officers and committees, duties of officers and committees, a process for selecting officers, quorum requirements for committees, provisions for special or ad hoc committees, staff policies and other such procedures as may be necessary. The task force may establish committees responsible for conducting specific task force programs or activities.
(2) The task force shall be assigned to the State Department of Health for administrative purposes only, and the department shall designate staff to assist the task force. The task force shall have a line item in the budget of the State Department of Health and shall be financed through the department's annual appropriation. Members of the task force may receive, within the funds appropriated, reimbursement for travel expenses incurred while engaged in official business of the task force.
(3) The task force shall meet and conduct business at least quarterly. All meetings of the task force and any committees of the task force shall be open to the public, with opportunities for public comment provided on a regular basis. Notice of all meetings shall be given as provided in the Open Meetings Act (Section 25-41-1 et seq.) and appropriate notice also shall be given to all persons so requesting of the date, time and place of each meeting.
(4) The Infant Mortality Task Force, in conjunction with the State Department of Health, the Department of Human Services, the State Department of Education and the Division of Medicaid, shall develop and implement a campaign for intensive outreach to high risk populations in Mississippi to encourage them to avail themselves of family planning, prenatal care and infant health services.
(5) The Infant Mortality Task Force may apply for and expend grants or other contributions for the purpose of promoting maternal and infant health in Mississippi.
(6) This section shall stand repealed on July 1, 2005.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 2003.