2002 Regular Session
To: Juvenile Justice; Appropriations
By: Senator(s) Jordan
AN ACT TO AMEND CHAPTER 608, GENERAL LAWS OF 2000, TO CONTINUE THE JOINT COMMITTEE ON GANG BEHAVIOR IN MISSISSIPPI; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. Chapter 608, General Laws of 2000, is amended as follows:
Section 1. (1) There is hereby created a joint committee of the Senate and House of Representatives to be known as the Joint Juvenile Justice Committee on Gang Behavior in Mississippi, hereinafter referred to as the "committee." The committee shall study and make recommendations to the Legislature related to the coordination of policy to study, track, identify and develop strategies for dealing with gangs and other groups that, as a group, engage in felonious criminal activity, and to study gangs, gang violence and juvenile crimes.
(2) The committee shall consist of the following members:
(a) The Chairmen and Vice Chairmen of the Senate Juvenile Justice Committee and the House Juvenile Justice Committee.
(b) Three (3) members of the Senate appointed by the Lieutenant Governor and three (3) members of the House of Representatives appointed by the Speaker of the House.
(3) The Chairman of the Senate Juvenile Justice Committee shall serve as chair of the committee.
(4) The committee may submit its findings and recommendations to the Legislature * * *.
(5) The members of the committee shall obtain the approval of the Management Committee of the House of Representatives and the Rules Committee of the Senate for per diem and travel expense expenditures of the committee. The members of the committee shall not receive per diem or expenses while the Legislature is in session. All expenses incurred by and on behalf of the committee shall be paid from the contingency funds of the Senate and the House of Representatives.
(6) In conducting its activities pursuant to this act, the committee may elicit the support of and participation by federal, state and local agencies and interested associations, organizations and individuals.
Section 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 2000 * * *.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after its passage.