2002 Regular Session
To: Public Health and Welfare; Appropriations
By: Senator(s) Huggins, Posey
AN ACT TO PROVIDE FOR THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE JUVENILE REHABILITATION CENTER IN BROOKHAVEN, MISSISSIPPI; TO PROVIDE FOR THE ADMINISTRATION OF THE CENTER BY THE MISSISSIPPI DEPARTMENT OF MENTAL HEALTH; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. (1) The Juvenile Rehabilitation Center located in Brookhaven, Mississippi, is recognized as now existing and shall be for the care and treatment of persons with mental retardation. The facility shall have the power to receive and hold property, real, personal and mixed, as a body corporate. The facility shall be under the direction and control of the State Board of Mental Health.
(2) Admissions shall be limited to mentally retarded adolescents who have been committed to the center by a youth court judge or chancellor in accordance with Section 41-21-109, or who are voluntarily admitted to the center.
(3) The Juvenile Rehabilitation Center is authorized to establish and operate a school to meet the educational needs of its clients.
(4) With funds provided by the Legislature, by direct appropriation or authorized bond issue, with federal matching funds, or with any other available funds, the Bureau of Building, Grounds and Real Property Management may construct and equip the necessary residential and service buildings and other facilities to care for the residents of the Juvenile Rehabilitation Center. The general design of the facility and all construction plans shall be approved and recommended by the State Department of Mental Health.
(5) The Juvenile Rehabilitation Center shall be administered by the State Board of Mental Health. Provisions relating to the admission and care of residents at the facility shall be promulgated by the board.
(6) Persons admitted to the Juvenile rehabilitation Center shall be assessed support and maintenance costs in accordance with the provisions of the state reimbursement laws as they apply to other state institutions.
(7) Any person who (a) knowingly and unlawfully or improperly causes a person to be adjudged mentally retarded, (b) procures the escape of a legally committed resident or knowingly conceals an escaped legally committed resident of the facility, or (c) unlawfully brings any firearm, deadly weapon or explosive into the facility or its grounds, or passes any thereof to a resident, employee or officer of the school, is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, shall be punished by a fine of not less than Fifty Dollars ($50.00), or more than Two Hundred Dollars ($200.00), imprisonment for not less than six (6) months, or both.
(8) The Juvenile Rehabilitation Center is designated as a state agency for carrying out the purposes of any act of the Congress of the United States, now existing or at anytime hereafter enacted, pertaining to mental retardation.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 2002.