2002 Regular Session
By: Senator(s) Smith
AN ACT TO CREATE A COUNCIL TO STUDY PREVENTION OF HEPATITIS IN PRISONS AND PROVISION OF HEALTH SERVICES TO PERSONS WITH HEPATITIS IN PRISON; TO PROVIDE FOR REPRESENTATIVES FROM STATE AGENCIES TO BE MEMBERS OF THE COUNCIL; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. (1) There is hereby created an Interagency Coordinating Council to study and to develop policies relating to hepatitis in prisons.
(2) The council shall consist of one (1) representative from each of the following agencies appointed by the executive director or commissioner of each agency:
(a) Department of Corrections;
(b) Department of Health;
(c) Office of the Attorney General;
(d) University Medical Center; and
(e) Department of Human Services.
The representative from the Department of Corrections shall serve as chairperson of the council.
(3) (a) The council shall meet at least once each quarter on meeting dates set by the council. Each agency that has a representative appointed to the council shall ensure that a representative of the agency attends at least three (3) quarterly meetings of the council each year.
(b) No member of the council shall receive per diem for attending the meetings.
(4) The council shall:
(a) Coordinate communication among the member agencies concerning each agency's programs in providing hepatitis services:
(b) Develop a plan that facilitates coordination of agency programs for:
(i) Prevention of hepatitis; and
(ii) Provision of services to individuals who have hepatitis in prisons.
(5) Not later than September 1 of each even-numbered year, the council shall file a report with the Legislature and the Governor containing policy recommendations relating to:
(a) Prevention of hepatitis in prisons;
(b) Delivery of health services to individuals who have hepatitis in prison.
(6) The council shall establish advisory committees composed of representatives from associations, consumer advocates and regulatory agencies, boards or commissions as needed to assist in carrying out its duties under this section.
(7) The Department of Corrections shall provide administrative support to the council.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 2002.