2002 Regular Session
By: Representative Compretta
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 45-35-7, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO MAKE CERTAIN TECHNICAL CORRECTIONS TO THE PROVISIONS OF LAW RELATING TO DISTRIBUTION OF FEES COLLECTED FROM THE ISSUANCE OF IDENTIFICATION CARDS ISSUED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. Section 45-35-7, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
45-35-7. (1) Except as provided in subsection (3) of this section, each applicant for an original identification card issued pursuant to this chapter who is entitled to issuance of such a card shall be issued a four-year card. Each card shall expire at midnight on the last day of the cardholder's birth month.
(2) Except as providedinsubsection (3) of this section, all renewal identification cards shall be for four-year periods and may be renewed any time during the birth month of the cardholder upon application and payment of the required fee.
(3) Any applicant who is blind, as defined in Section 43-6-1, upon payment of the fee prescribed in this section, shall be issued an original identification card which shall remain valid for a period of ten (10) years. All renewal identification cards issued to such persons shall also be valid for a period of ten (10) years.
(4) A fee of Eleven Dollars ($11.00) shall be collected for the issuance of an original or renewal identification card plus the applicable photograph fee as provided in subsection (5) of this section. The fee of Eleven Dollars ($11.00) shall be deposited into the State General Fund. The photograph fee shall be deposited into a special photograph fee account or the State General Fund as provided under subsection (5) of this section.
(5) The Commissioner of Public Safety, by rule or regulation, shall establish an identification card photograph fee which shall be the actual cost of the photograph rounded off to the next highest dollar. Monies collected for the photograph fee shall be deposited into a special photograph fee account which the Department of Public Safety shall use to pay the actual cost of producing the photographs. Any monies collected in excess of the actual costs of the photography shall be deposited to the General Fund of the State of Mississippi. * * *
(6) Any person who, for medical reasons, surrenders his unexpired driver's license, and any person whose unexpired driver's license is suspended for medical reasons by the Commissioner of Public Safety under Section 63-1-53(e), may be issued an identification card without payment of a fee. The identification card shall be valid for a period of four (4) years from its date of issue. All renewals of such card shall be subject to the fees prescribed in subsections (4) and (5) of this section.
(7) The department shall maintain a record of all identification cards issued, except for those cards cancelled, surrendered or denied renewal.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after its passage.