2002 Regular Session
To: Game and Fish; County Affairs
By: Representative Stringer, Mitchell, Bailey, Baker, Banks, Barbour, Barnett (116th), Barnett (92nd), Blackmon, Bowles, Broomfield, Brown, Cameron, Capps, Chism, Clark, Clarke, Coleman (29th), Coleman (65th), Compretta, Creel, Cummings, Davis, Dedeaux, Denny, Dickson, Eads, Eakes, Eaton, Ellington, Ellis, Ellzey, Espy, Evans, Fillingane, Flaggs, Fleming, Ford, Formby, Franks, Fredericks, Frierson, Gadd, Gibbs, Green, Grist, Guice, Hamilton, Harrison, Henderson, Hines, Holland, Holloway, Horne, Howell, Huddleston, Hudson, Ishee, Janus, Jennings, Ketchings, Livingston, Lott, Malone, Maples, Markham, Martinson, Masterson, Mayo, McBride, McCoy, Middleton, Miles, Moak, Montgomery (15th), Montgomery (74th), Moody, Moore (100th), Moore (60th), Morris, Moss, Myers, Nettles, Nicholson, Peranich, Perkins, Pierce, Read, Reeves, Reynolds, Roberson, Robertson, Robinson (63rd), Robinson (84th), Rogers, Rotenberry, Rushing, Ryals, Scott (17th), Scott (80th), Shows, Simpson, Smith (27th), Smith (35th), Smith (39th), Smith (59th), Snowden, Stevens, Straughter, Taylor, Thomas, Wallace, Ward, Warren, Watson, Weathersby, Wells-Smith, West, Whittington, Woods, Young, Zuber
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 49-7-201, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO PROVIDE THAT THE BEAVER CONTROL ADVISORY BOARD SHALL ESTABLISH THE AMOUNT NOT TO EXCEED FOUR THOUSAND DOLLARS REQUIRED TO BE CONTRIBUTED BY A COUNTY THAT DESIRES TO PARTICIPATE IN THE BEAVER CONTROL AND ERADICATION PROGRAM; TO AMEND SECTION 49-7-203, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO PROVIDE THAT THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF THE MISSISSIPPI ASSOCIATION OF SUPERVISORS SHALL BE A MEMBER OF THE BEAVER CONTROL ADVISORY BOARD; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. Section 49-7-201, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
49-7-201. (1) There is hereby established a beaver control program which shall be developed by the Beaver Control Advisory Board created in Section 49-7-203 and administered by the Mississippi Commission on Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks with the advice of the board or administered by a federal agency pursuant to an agreement with the commission for such purpose. The program shall be limited to the control or eradication of beavers only on private lands or public lands, excluding federally owned lands but including lands whereupon easements are granted to a federal entity. The commission may employ such personnel as is necessary to implement its duties to administer the program and set the salary of such personnel subject to State Personnel Board guidelines.
(2) Any state, local or private funds available to the commission to fund the program shall be used to match federal funds available for such purpose. The commission may execute such agreements with any agency of the federal government as are necessary to obtain federal matching funds to finance the beaver control program.
(3) Nonfederal funds to help finance the program may be obtained by the commission from the following sources:
(a) Appropriations by the Legislature;
(b) Contributions from participating counties;
(c) Charges on participating landowners; and/or
(d) Contributions from any other sources for such purpose.
(4) (a) Any county in the state desiring to participate in the program during its fiscal year shall contribute an amount established by the Beaver Control Advisory Board not to exceed Four Thousand Dollars ($4,000.00) for such purpose from any funds available in its general fund. Such county shall commit such funds to the program for the ensuing fiscal year by adopting and submitting a resolution to that effect on or before August 1 to the commission. The commission shall establish the due date for the payment of contributions by counties.
(b) The sum of county contributions may be matched by nonfederal funds available to the state for the beaver control program.
(5) Participating landowner means any person, corporation or association owning land in this state and taking part in the beaver control program.
SECTION 2. Section 49-7-203, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
49-7-203. (1) There is hereby created the Beaver Control Advisory Board which shall be composed of the administrative heads of the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks, State Forestry Commission, Department of Agriculture and Commerce, Mississippi Department of Transportation and Mississippi State Cooperative Extension Services and the Executive Director of the Mississippi Association of Supervisors.
(2) The Executive Director of the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks shall be the chairman of the board and shall preside over meetings.
(3) The members of the board shall serve without compensation but all members of the board except for the Executive Director of the Mississippi Association of Supervisors shall be entitled to reimbursement for all actual and necessary expenses incurred in the discharge of their duties, including mileage as authorized by law.
(4) The board shall have the following duties and responsibilities:
(a) To adopt rules and regulations governing times and places for meetings and governing the manner of conducting its business;
(b) To develop a beaver control program to be administered by the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks or by a federal agency pursuant to an agreement with the commission for such purpose;
(c) To designate the areas of the state having the greatest need for beaver control or eradication and establish a list of priority areas on an annual basis;
(d) To recommend to the Mississippi Commission on Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks such fees as may be necessary to charge participating landowners; and
(e) To function in an advisory capacity to the Mississippi Commission on Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks regarding the implementation of the beaver control program.
SECTION 3. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 2002.