2001 Regular Session
By: Representative Nettles
House Bill 367
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 83-9-37, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO REVISE THE DEFINITION OF A HEALTH SERVICE PROVIDER; TO AMEND SECTION 83-9-39, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO REQUIRE THAT INSURANCE POLICIES PROVIDE COVERED BENEFITS FOR THE TREATMENT OF MENTAL ILLNESS; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. Section 83-9-37, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
83-9-37. As used in Sections 83-9-37 through 83-9-43, Mississippi Code of 1972:
(a) "Alternative delivery system" means a health maintenance organization (HMO), preferred provider organization (PPO), exclusive provider organization (EPO), individual practice association (IPA), medical staff hospital organization (MESH), physician hospital organization (PHO), and any other plan or organization which provides health care services through a mechanism other than insurance and is regulated by the State of Mississippi.
(b) "Covered benefits" means the health care services or treatment available to an insured party under a health insurance policy for which the insurer will pay part or all of the costs.
(c) "Hospital" means a facility licensed as a hospital by the Mississippi Department of Health.
(d) "Health service provider" means any mental health professional licensed by the state who is authorized by the facility in which services are delivered to provide mental health services in an inpatient or outpatient setting, within his or her scope of licensure.
(e) "Inpatient services" means therapeutic services which are available twenty-four (24) hours a day in a hospital or other treatment facility licensed by the State of Mississippi.
(f) "Mental illness" means any psychiatric disease identified in the current edition of The International Classification of Diseases or The American Psychiatric Association Diagnostic and Statistical Manual.
(g) "Outpatient services" means therapeutic services which are provided to a patient according to an individualized treatment plan which does not require the patient's full-time confinement to a hospital or other treatment facility licensed by the State of Mississippi. The term "outpatient services" refers to services which may be provided in a hospital, an outpatient treatment facility or other appropriate setting licensed by the State of Mississippi.
(h) "Outpatient treatment facility" means (i) a clinic or other similar location which is certified by the State of Mississippi as a qualified provider of outpatient services for the treatment of mental illness or (ii) the office of a health service provider.
(i) "Partial hospitalization" means inpatient treatment, other than full twenty-four-hour programs, in a treatment facility licensed by the State of Mississippi; the term includes day, night and weekend treatment programs.
(j) "Physician" means a physician licensed by the State of Mississippi to practice therein.
(k) "Psychologist" means a psychologist licensed by the State of Mississippi to practice therein.
SECTION 2. Section 83-9-39, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
83-9-39. (1) All alternative delivery systems and all individual and group health insurance policies, plans or programs regulated by the State of Mississippi * * * shall provide covered benefits for the treatment of mental illness, except for policies which only provide coverage for specified diseases and other limited benefit health insurance policies and negotiated labor contracts. * * *
(2) Covered benefits for inpatient treatment of mental illness in insurance policies and other contracts subject to Sections 83-9-37 through 83-9-43 shall be limited to inpatient services certified as necessary by a health service provider.
(3) Covered benefits for outpatient treatment of mental illness in insurance policies and other contracts subject to Sections 83-9-37 through 83-9-43 shall be limited to outpatient services certified as necessary by a health service provider.
(4) Before an insured party may qualify to receive benefits under Sections 83-9-37 through 83-9-43, a health service provider shall certify that the individual is suffering from mental illness and refer the individual for the appropriate treatment.
(5) All mental illness, treatment or services with respect to such treatment eligible for health insurance coverage shall be subject to professional utilization and peer review procedures.
(6) The provisions of this section shall apply only to alternative delivery systems and individual and group health insurance policies, plans or programs issued or renewed after July 1, 1991.
(7) The exclusion period for coverage of a preexisting mental condition shall be the same period of time as that for other medical illnesses covered under the same plan, program or contract.
SECTION 3. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 2001.