2000 Regular Session
To: Public Health and Welfare
By: Senator(s) Huggins (By Request)
Senate Bill 2436
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 41-89-1, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO EXTEND THE DATE OF THE REPEALER ON THE INFANT MORTALITY TASK FORCE; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. Section 41-89-1, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
41-89-1. (1) There is created the Infant Mortality Task Force, the purpose of which is to foster the reduction of infant mortality and morbidity in Mississippi and to improve the health status of mothers and infants.
(2) The Infant Mortality Task Force is hereby continued and reconstituted as follows: The task force shall be composed of eleven (11) voting members appointed as follows:
(a) The Governor shall appoint seven (7) members, one (1) from each Mississippi congressional district and two (2) from the state at large.
(b) The Lieutenant Governor shall appoint two (2) members from the state at large.
(c) The Speaker of the House of Representatives shall appoint two (2) members from the state at large.
(d) It is the intent of the Legislature that the task force be comprised of persons with a professional association with or special interest in maternal and infant health and well-being.
(e) Any member of the Infant Mortality Task Force appointed and serving prior to July 1, 1995, shall be eligible for reappointment to the task force.
(3) The Governor shall appoint two (2) members for initial terms that expire on June 30, 1996, two (2) members for initial terms that expire on June 30, 1997, and three (3) members for initial terms that expire on June 30, 1998. The Lieutenant Governor and Speaker of the House of Representatives shall appoint one (1) member for an initial term that expires on June 30, 1997, and one (1) member for an initial term that expires on June 30, 1998. Thereafter, all members shall be appointed for terms of three (3) years from the expiration of the previous term. No member shall serve more than two (2) successive full terms. Any vacancy occurring other than by expiration of a term shall be filled for the unexpired term by the appropriate appointing authority. An appointment to fill an unexpired term shall not be considered as a full term.
(4) The administrative head of the following state agencies shall designate one (1) employee to serve in an advisory capacity as an ex officio, nonvoting member of the Infant Mortality Task Force: (a) Mississippi Department of Health; (b) State Department of Education; (c) Department of Human Services; (d) Mississippi Department of Mental Health; (e) Division of Medicaid; and (f) the University Medical Center. In addition there shall be one (1) member of the Mississippi Primary Health Care Association who shall serve in an advisory capacity as an ex officio nonvoting member.
(5) The Chairman of the Senate Public Health and Welfare Committee and one (1) member of said committee to be designated by the chairman, and the Chairman of the House Public Health and Welfare Committee and one (1) member of said committee to be designated by the chairman shall serve in an advisory capacity as ex officio nonvoting members of the Infant Mortality Task Force.
(6) This section shall stand repealed on July 1, 2003.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 2000.