2000 Regular Session
By: Representative Clark
House Bill 676
AN ACT TO CREATE A COMMISSION TO RECOMMEND THE DESIGN FOR A NEW STATE FLAG; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. (1) There is established a commission to recommend the design for a new Mississippi flag that will reflect the diversity of the population.
(2) The commission shall consist of the following twelve (12) members:
(a) Four (4) members appointed by the Governor of the State of Mississippi who are representatives of the general public and who are knowledgeable in Mississippi history;
(b) The President Pro Tempore of the Mississippi Senate;
(c) The Speaker Pro Tempore of the Mississippi House of Representatives;
(d) Three (3) members appointed by the Lieutenant Governor of the State of Mississippi as follows:
(i) A member of the Mississippi Senate; and
(ii) Two (2) members of the general public; and
(e) Three (3) members appointed by the Speaker of the Mississippi House of Representatives as follows:
(i) One (1) member of the Mississippi House of Representatives; and
(ii) Two (2) members of the general public.
(3) The appointments shall be made by September 1, 2000. Within fifteen (15) days thereafter, on a day to be designated jointly by the Governor, the Lieutenant Governor and the Speaker of the House, the commission shall meet and organize by selecting from its membership a chairman and a vice chairman. The vice chairman also shall serve as secretary and shall be responsible for keeping all records of the commission. The commission shall meet no more than once per month. A majority of the members of the commission shall constitute a quorum at all meetings. An affirmative vote of a majority of the members present and voting shall be required in the adoption of any actions taken by the commission. All members shall be notified in writing of all regular and special meetings of the commission, which notices shall be mailed at least ten (10) days before the dates of the meetings. All meetings shall take place at the State Capitol in Jackson, Mississippi.
(4) Members of the commission shall not receive compensation. However, each member may be paid travel expenses and meals and lodging expenses as provided in Section 25-3-41, for such expenses incurred in furtherance of their duties. Travel expenses and meals and lodging expenses and other necessary expenses incurred by the commission shall be paid out of funds appropriated to the Governor's Office.
(5) In carrying out the provisions of this act, the commission may utilize the services, facilities and personnel of all departments, agencies, offices and institutions of the state.
(6) The commission shall file its report and recommendations for the design of the new Mississippi flag with the Secretary of the Senate and the Clerk of the House not later than January 1, 2001. The commission shall be dissolved once the recommendation is filed.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 2000.