1998 Regular Session
By: Senator(s) Kirby
Senate Resolution 20
(As Adopted by Senate)
A RESOLUTION COMMENDING AND CONGRATULATING ST. LUKE'S EPISCOPAL CHURCH OF BRANDON, MISSISSIPPI UPON ITS SESQUICENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY.
WHEREAS, St. Luke's Episcopal Church was organized in November 1848 in the City of Brandon, Rankin County, Mississippi; and
WHEREAS, The Rev. Amos Cleaver was called as its first rector; and
WHEREAS, on February 25, 1850, the first Bishop of Mississippi, the Right Rev. William Mercer Green, visited and preached, administered the Holy Communion, baptized and confirmed for St. Luke's congregation on the first day after his consecration; and
WHEREAS, in 1868, under the rectorship of the Rev. Duncan C. Green, funds were raised to build the first St. Luke's church on North College Street in downtown Brandon; and
WHEREAS, in 1870, when the Rev. W.C. Christian was rector, the church building was completed and on October 29, 1870, the new church was consecrated; and
WHEREAS, by April 19, 1881, Bishop Green wrote that he gave lay-reader authority to Maj. Patrick Henry, who in various capacities oversaw the growth of the congregation; and
WHEREAS, after several decades of brief rectorships, the Rev. H.W. Robinson began his long and faithful ministry at St. Luke's in 1890 with the help of Maj. Henry, senior warden, A.G. Thornton, junior warden and treasurer, and R.S. Maxey, clerk; and
WHEREAS, throughout the late 1800s, St. Luke's Parish was recognized as an important contributor to the growth of other parishes in mid-Mississippi; and
WHEREAS, in November 1912, the Rev. Valentine H. Sessions began his 25-year tenure; and
WHEREAS, tragedy struck the congregation on March 23, 1924 when fire swept throughout downtown Brandon and St. Luke's Episcopal Church was among the structures destroyed; and
WHEREAS, with a great many prayers, gifts from throughout the state and hard work, the congregation built a new church by the end of the year; and
WHEREAS, St. Luke's in Brandon is one of Mississippi's oldest continuously worshipping Episcopal parishes; and
WHEREAS, its generosity and leadership are responsible for the formation of other congregations at St. Matthew's in Forest and St. Peter's-by-the-Lake near the Ross Barnett Reservoir; and
WHEREAS, on October 18, 1998, St. Luke's Episcopal Church in Brandon will culminate its anniversary observance with a special "St. Luke's Day" celebration of 150 years in Rankin County, Mississippi:
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED BY THE SENATE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI, That St. Luke's Episcopal Church in Brandon is commended and congratulated in this the 150th anniversary year for its contributions to its community, the Episcopal Diocese of Mississippi, the Protestant Episcopal Church, the State of Mississippi and the United States of America.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, That copies of this resolution be presented to The Right Rev. A.C. Marble, Jr., Bishop of the Diocese of Mississippi, The Rev. R.W. Hyde, III, St. Luke's rector, and St. Luke's vestry and congregation, and that copies be made available to the Capitol Press Corps.