1998 Regular Session
By: Senator(s) Carter
Senate Resolution 8
A RESOLUTION TO CREATE AND EMPOWER A SENATE TASK FORCE ON RAILROADS TO STUDY IMPLEMENTATION OF A STRATEGIC RAIL PLAN; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT RESOLVED BY THE SENATE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI, That:
(1) There is hereby created a Senate Task Force on Railroads to study implementation of a comprehensive strategic rail plan in Mississippi. The task force shall be composed of the following members: the Chairman of the Senate Transportation Committee, or his designee; five (5) Senators appointed by the Lieutenant Governor, one (1) from each congressional district; the Chairman of the Department of Civil Engineering at Mississippi State University, or his designee; and the Chairman of the Department of Civil Engineering at the University of Mississippi, or his designee.
(2) Within thirty (30) days after the passage of this resolution, on a day to be named by the President of the Senate, the task force shall meet and organize itself. A majority of the members of the task force shall constitute a quorum. All members shall be notified in writing of all meetings, such notices to be mailed at least five (5) days prior to the date of the meeting.
(3) Legislative members of the task force shall be paid from the Senate Contingent Expense Fund in the same manner as provided for attendance at committee meetings when the Legislature is not in session; however, no per diem or expense for attending meetings of the task force will be paid to legislators while the Legislature is in session. Members of the task force who are state employees shall be reimbursed by their department or agency for mileage and actual expenses incurred in the performance of their duties in accordance with Section 25-3-41, Mississippi Code of 1972. No task force member may incur per diem, travel or other expenses unless previously authorized by vote, at a meeting of the task force, which action shall be recorded in the official minutes of the meeting.
(4) The task force shall utilize clerical and legal staff of the Senate. To effectuate the purposes of the task force any department, board or agency of the state or local government shall, at the request of the chairman of the task force, provide to the task force such facilities, assistance and data as will enable the task force to properly carry out its powers and duties.
(5) The task force shall study all relevant issues regarding strategic railroad planning in this state including, but not limited to, intercity rail relocation, intermodal transportation development and development of rail corridors to take advantage of opportunities presented by the North American Free Trade Act. The task force shall consider input from railroads operating in Mississippi and other interested parties concerning the issues it studies. The task force shall present its findings to the Senate on or before December 1, 1998, by filing its report thereon with the Secretary of the Senate. Upon presentation of its report to the Senate, the task force shall be dissolved.
BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, That copies of this resolution be transmitted to those state agencies which have members on the Senate Task Force on Railroads.