1998 Regular Session
To: Economic Dev, Tourism and Parks
By: Senator(s) Horhn
Senate Bill 3151
(As Passed the Senate)
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTIONS 57-81-1 AND 57-81-3, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO PROVIDE THAT THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR OF THE DEPARTMENT OF INFORMATION SERVICES OR HIS DESIGNEE SHALL BE A MEMBER OF THE MISSISSIPPI SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY COMMISSION; TO REQUIRE THE CHAIRMAN OF THE MISSISSIPPI SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY COMMISSION TO BE A MEMBER APPOINTED FROM THE PRIVATE SECTOR; TO PLACE A REPEAL DATE OF JULY 1, 2000, ON THE MISSISSIPPI SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY COMMISSION; TO REPEAL SECTION 3, CHAPTER 594, LAWS OF 1995, WHICH REPEALS EFFECTIVE JUNE 30, 1998, THE MISSISSIPPI SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY COMMISSION; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. Section 57-81-1, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
57-81-1. (1) There is hereby created the Mississippi Science and Technology Commission which shall be constituted as follows:
(a) Six (6) representatives of private business appointed by the Governor.
(b) A representative of state institutions of higher learning appointed by the Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning.
(c) Two (2) representatives of the Mississippi Department of Economic and Community Development appointed by the Executive Director of the Department of Economic and Community Development.
(d) That person designated by the Governor as his advisor for economic development.
(e) A representative of community colleges appointed by the State Board for Community and Junior Colleges.
(f) Two (2) representatives of federal laboratories located in this state appointed by the Governor pursuant to recommendations made by Mississippi members of the Federal Laboratory Consortium.
(g) A member of the Mississippi Senate appointed by the President of the Senate, to be a non-voting member.
(h) A member of the Mississippi House of Representatives appointed by the Speaker of the House, to be a non-voting member.
(i) Two (2) representatives of the Mississippi Research Consortium appointed by the Chairman of the Mississippi Research Consortium.
(j) Two (2) representatives of the University Research Authority appointed by the President of the University Research Authority.
(k) The President of the Institute for Technology Development or his designee.
(l) The Executive Director of the Mississippi Enterprise for Technology or his designee.
(m) Two (2) persons actively involved in educating Grades K through 12 children, who shall be appointed by the State Board of Education.
(n) The executive Director of the Mississippi Department of Information Technology Services or his designee.
(2) Appointed members shall serve for a two-year term, subject to the will and pleasure of the appointing authority, and may be reappointed to consecutive terms.
(3) The commission shall elect one (1) member to serve as chairman who shall be a member appointed from the private sector. The commission shall meet upon the call of the chairman in Jackson, Mississippi, or at such other places in the state designated by the commission. Members of the commission shall receive no compensation for their services but may be reimbursed for their actual and necessary expenses incurred in the performance of their duties as provided in Section 25-3-41, Mississippi Code of 1972, for state officers and employees.
(4) The commission is established for the following purposes:
(a) To facilitate the development, coordination and promotion of state science and technology programs related to business and economic development.
(b) To advise the Governor and Legislature on specific science and technology issues.
(c) To develop long-term plans to enhance all phases of science and technology appropriate to the needs of industry and the Mississippi economy.
(5) The Department of Economic and Community Development may provide financial and staff support as needed by the commission.
(6) The provisions of this chapter supersede Executive Order 726 signed by the Governor on January 21, 1993.
(7) This section shall stand repealed from and after June 30, 2000.
SECTION 2. Section 57-81-3, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
57-81-3. All new programs authorized in this chapter are subject to the availability of funds specifically appropriated therefor by the Legislature.
This section shall stand repealed from and after June 30, 2000.
SECTION 3. Section 3, Chapter 594, Laws of 1995, which repeals effective June 30, 1998, the Mississippi Science and Technology Commission, is repealed.
SECTION 4. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after its passage.