1998 Regular Session
By: Senator(s) Bryan
Senate Bill 2448
(As Sent to Governor)
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 27-7-309, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO AUTHORIZE THE STATE TAX COMMISSION TO ESTABLISH FILING PERIODS FOR THE WITHHOLDING TAX BY RULE OR REGULATION; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. Section 27-7-309, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
27-7-309. (1) Every employer required to deduct and withhold from wages under this article shall, for each calendar quarter, on or before the fifteenth day of the month following the close of such calendar quarter, file a withholding return as prescribed by the commissioner and pay over to the commissioner the full amount required to be deducted and withheld from wages by such employer for the calendar quarter. Provided that the commissioner may, by regulation, provide that every such employer shall, on or before the fifteenth day of each month, pay over to the commissioner or a depository designated by the commissioner, the amount required to be deducted and withheld by such employer for the preceding month, if such amount is One Hundred Dollars ($100.00) or more. Returns and payments placed in the mail must be postmarked by the due date in order to be timely filed, except when the due date falls on a weekend or holiday, returns and payments placed in the mail must be postmarked by the first working day following the due date in order to be considered timely filed.
The commissioner may promulgate rules and regulations to require or permit filing periods of any duration, in lieu of monthly or quarterly filing periods, for any taxpayer or group thereof.
(2) Notwithstanding any of the other provisions of this section, all transient employers and all employers engaged in any business which is seasonal shall make return and pay over to the commissioner on a monthly basis, the full amounts required to be deducted and withheld from the wages by such employer for the calendar month. Such returns and payments to the commissioner by such employers shall be made on or before the fifteenth day of the month following the month for which such amounts were deducted and withheld from the wages of his employees. The commissioner shall have the authority to issue reasonable rules and regulations designating or classifying said transient and seasonal employers.
(3) If the commissioner, in any case, has justifiable reason to believe that the collection of funds required to be withheld by any employer as provided herein is in jeopardy, he may require the employer to file a return and pay such amount required to be withheld at any time.
(4) Every employer who fails to withhold or pay to the commissioner any sums required by this article to be withheld and paid, shall be personally and individually liable therefor, except as provided in Section 27-7-307; and any sum or sums withheld in accordance with the provisions of this article shall be deemed to be held in trust for the State of Mississippi and shall be recorded by the employer in a ledger account so as to clearly indicate the amount of tax withheld and that the amount is the property of the State of Mississippi.
(5) Once an employer has become liable to a quarterly return of withholding, he must continue to file a quarterly report, even though no tax has been withheld, until such time as he notifies the commissioner, in writing, that he no longer has employees or that he is no longer liable for such quarterly returns.
(6) Once an employer has become liable to a monthly return of withholding, he must continue to file a monthly report, even though no tax has been withheld until such time as he notifies the commissioner, in writing, that he no longer has employees or that he is no longer liable for such monthly returns.
(7) Magnetic media reporting may be required in a manner to be determined by the commissioner.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 1998.