1998 Regular Session
To: Ways and Means
By: Representative Ford
House Bill 510
AN ACT TO REENACT SECTIONS 27-7-22.7 AND 27-7-22.9, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, WHICH PROVIDE AN INCOME TAX CREDIT FOR INCOME TAXPAYERS THAT UTILIZE PORT FACILITIES AT STATE, COUNTY AND MUNICIPAL PORTS FOR THE EXPORT OF CARGO AND REQUIRE THE DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMIC AND COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT TO REPORT ANNUALLY TO THE LEGISLATURE REGARDING THE IMPACT OF SUCH TAX CREDIT; TO AMEND REENACTED SECTIONS 27-7-22.7 AND 27-7-22.9, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO EXTEND THE REPEALER ON THE INCOME TAX CREDIT FOR INCOME TAXPAYERS THAT UTILIZE PORT FACILITIES AT STATE, COUNTY AND MUNICIPAL PORTS FOR THE EXPORT OF CARGO; TO EXTEND THE PERIOD FOR WHICH SUCH TAX CREDIT SHALL APPLY; TO AMEND SECTION 4, CHAPTER 492, LAWS OF 1994, TO DELETE THE REPEALER ON THE INCOME TAX CREDIT FOR INCOME TAXPAYERS THAT UTILIZE PORT FACILITIES AT STATE, COUNTY AND MUNICIPAL PORTS FOR THE EXPORT OF CARGO; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. Section 27-7-22.7, Mississippi Code of 1972, is reenacted and amended as follows:
27-7-22.7. (1) As used in this section, the term "port" means a state, county or municipal port or harbor established pursuant to Sections 59-5-1 through 59-5-69, Sections 59-7-1 through 59-7-519, 59-9-1 through 59-9-85 or Sections 59-11-1 through 59-11-11.
(2) For any income taxpayer utilizing the port facilities at any port for the export of cargo that is loaded on a carrier calling at any such port, a credit against the taxes imposed pursuant to this chapter shall be allowed in the amounts provided in this section.
(3) Except as otherwise provided by subsection (5) of this section, the amount of the credit allowed pursuant to this section shall be the total of the following charges on export cargo paid by the corporation:
(a) Receiving into the port;
(b) Handling to a vessel; and
(4) The credit provided for in this section shall not exceed fifty percent (50%) of the amount of tax imposed upon the taxpayer for the taxable year reduced by the sum of all other credits allowable to such taxpayer under this chapter, except credit for tax payments made by or on behalf of the taxpayer. Any unused portion of the credit may be carried forward for the succeeding five (5) years. The maximum cumulative credit that may be claimed by a taxpayer pursuant to this chapter and for the period of time beginning on January 1, 1994, and ending on December 31, 1999, is limited to One Million Dollars ($1,000,000.00).
(5) To obtain the credit provided for in this section, a taxpayer must provide to the State Tax Commission a statement from the governing authority of the port certifying the amount of charges paid by the taxpayer for which a credit is claimed and any other information required by the State Tax Commission.
(6) This section shall stand repealed from and after December 31, 1999.
SECTION 2. Section 27-7-22.9, Mississippi Code of 1972, is reenacted and amended as follows:
27-7-22.9. The Mississippi Department of Economic and Community Development shall report annually to the Legislature regarding the impact of the credit granted in Section 27-7-22.7 on shipping and economic growth. Each report shall show the overall annual increase on shipping at each port for the most recent year for which data is available and for each of the previous five (5) years. Each report shall estimate the number of jobs created or retained at each port and in businesses related to port activity at each port since January 1, 1994, as compared to the number of similar jobs created during the ten (10) years preceding January 1, 1994. Each report shall state the net economic impact on the state as a result of the tax credit provided for in Section 27-7-22.7. The Mississippi Department of Economic and Community Development shall file a copy of the report with the Governor, the Secretary of the Senate, the Clerk of the House of Representatives and the Chairmen of the House Ways and Means Committee and the Senate Finance Committee of the Legislature on May 1, of each year. The State Tax Commission and all state, county and municipal ports shall cooperate with the Mississippi Department of Economic and Community Development in providing the information required in the annual reports.
This section shall stand repealed from and after December 31, 1999.
SECTION 3. Section 4, Chapter 492, Laws of 1994, is amended as follows:
Section 4. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after January 1, 1994 * * *.
SECTION 4. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 1998.