1997 Regular Session
To: Corrections; Appropriations
By: Senator(s) Huggins
Senate Bill 2987
AN ACT TO CREATE A JOINT COMMITTEE FOR CRIMINAL JUSTICE OVERSIGHT TO MAKE RECOMMENDATIONS TO THE LEGISLATURE TO ENSURE THE COORDINATION OF JUDICIAL REFORMS AND CORRECTIONS REFORMS; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES. BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. (1) There is hereby created a joint committee of the Senate and House of Representatives composed of legislators and other members to be known as the Criminal Justice Oversight Committee, hereinafter referred to as the "committee." The committee shall study and make recommendations to the Legislature related to the coordination of policy to the end that judicial reforms shall be accompanied by coordinated corrections reforms and that the ends of justice might be met.
(2) The committee shall consist of the following members:
(a) Three (3) members who are circuit judges elected by the Conference of Circuit Court Judges.
(b) Three (3) members who are sheriffs elected by the Mississippi Sheriffs' Association.
(c) The Chairmen of the Senate Corrections Committee and the Senate Judiciary Committee and the Chairmen of the House Penitentiary Committee and the House en Banc Committee.
(d) Three (3) members who are district attorneys and one (1) member who is a county attorney elected by the Mississippi Prosecutors Association.
(e) The Attorney General, or his designee.
(f) Two (2) members of the Senate appointed by the Lieutenant Governor and three (3) members of the House of Representatives appointed by the Speaker of the House.
(3) The Lieutenant Governor shall serve as chair of the committee.
(4) The committee shall submit its findings and recommendations to the Legislature no later than January 2, 1998.
(5) For attending meetings of the committee, members of the committee shall receive per diem as provided by Section 25-3-69, Mississippi Code of 1972, and reimbursement of expenses as provided by Section 5-1-47, Mississippi Code of 1972. The members of the committee shall obtain the approval of the Management Committee of the House of Representatives and the Contingent Expense Committee of the Senate for per diem and travel expense expenditures of the committee. The members of the committee who are legislators shall not receive per diem or expenses while the Legislature is in session. All expenses incurred by and on behalf of the committee shall be paid from the contingency funds of the Senate and the House of Representatives.
(6) In conducting its activities pursuant to this act, the committee may elicit the support of and participation by federal, state and local agencies and interested associations, organizations and individuals.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after its passage.