1997 Regular Session
To: Ports and Marine Resources
By: Senator(s) Moffatt
Senate Bill 2971
AN ACT TO PROHIBIT THE USE OF GILL NETS WITHIN ONE-HALF MILE OF THE SHORE; TO PROHIBIT THE TAKING OF SPECKLED TROUT WITH GILL NETS; TO PROHIBIT THE TAKING OF ANY FISH WITH GILL NETS AT NIGHT; TO PROVIDE PENALTIES FOR VIOLATIONS; TO AMEND SECTION 49-15-77 AND 49-15-79, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO CONFORM; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. (1) It is unlawful for a person to use a gill net for the taking of fish in marine waters within one-half (1/2) mile of the shoreline.
(2) It is unlawful for a person to catch speckled trout with a gill net.
(3) It is unlawful to use or take any fish with a gill net during the hours between sunset and sunrise.
(4) A violation of this section is punishable by the penalties provided in Section 49-15-100, Mississippi Code of 1972.
SECTION 2. Section 49-15-77, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
49-15-77. (1) It is unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to catch, take or carry away any saltwater fish by or with any * * * trammel nets, purse seines, seines, fish traps or other like contrivances except permitted eel traps, in any area of the State of Mississippi within one hundred (100) feet of the mouth of any river, bayou, creek, canal, stream, tributary, lake, bay, inlet or other water source entering into areas defined as salt waters under the jurisdiction of the commission.
(2) A person, firm or corporation convicted of a violation of this section shall be punished as provided in section 49-15-63, Mississippi Code of 1972.
SECTION 3. Section 49-15-79, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
49-15-79. (1) It is unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to use or attempt to use a purse seine for the taking of fish or to have such seine in the water within one (1) mile of the shoreline of the Counties of Hancock or Harrison in the State of Mississippi. The Boards of Supervisors of Hancock, Harrison and Jackson Counties shall have the authority to submit proposed regulations to the commission to regulate within their respective counties the use of * * * trammel nets. The commission may consider all such proposals submitted by the boards of supervisors in formulating regulations to be promulgated under this section.
(2) A person, firm or corporation convicted of a violation of this section or regulations promulgated under this section shall be punished as provided in Section 49-15-63, Mississippi Code of 1972.
SECTION 4. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 1997.