1997 Regular Session
To: Wildlife and Fisheries
By: Senator(s) Posey
Senate Bill 2948
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 49-7-37, MISSISSIPPI CODE OF 1972, TO ALLOW THE USE OF TELESCOPIC SIGHTS ON PRIMITIVE FIREARMS; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. Section 49-7-37, Mississippi Code of 1972, is amended as follows:
49-7-37. (1) Any resident of this state licensed to hunt * * * any legal game bird or game animal in this state * * * with * * * firearms, may hunt * * * game animals or game birds with falcons or hawks as may be prescribed by the commission and in compliance with federal guidelines.
(2) The commission may extend the special archery seasons on any public hunting projects, game refuges or prescribed areas having surplus deer populations.
(3) The killing by primitive firearms of an antlerless deer or any other deer protected during the regular deer season is prohibited, but the commission may designate areas of the state in which the killing of antlerless deer may be permitted or limited.
(4) The commission may make reasonable rules and regulations concerning the special seasons with falcons and hawks, bow and arrow and primitive firearms * * *. The commission shall define the term "primitive firearm" for purposes of this section and other law or regulation. Telescopic sights may be used with a primitive firearm.
(5) The use of dogs shall be prohibited for hunting deer during any of the special hunting seasons.
(6) In addition to a hunting license allowing the taking of deer, any resident who hunts deer with bow and arrow or primitive firearm shall purchase a special resident archery and/or primitive firearms license at a fee of Fourteen Dollars ($14.00) for each license plus the fee provided in Section 49-7-17.
(7) Any person violating this section is guilty of a Class II violation and shall be punished as provided in Section 49-7-143.
(8) All seasons provided for herein shall begin on Saturday.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 1997.