1997 Regular Session
By: Senator(s) Bean
Senate Bill 2692
AN ACT TO PROVIDE FOR THE DESIGNATION OF CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE MISSISSIPPI VOLUNTEER SERVICE FUND ON STATE INDIVIDUAL INCOME TAX RETURNS; AND FOR RELATED PURPOSES.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI:
SECTION 1. (1) Each resident individual taxpayer who files a Mississippi income tax return and who will receive a tax refund from the State Tax Commission may designate that a contribution be made to the "Mississippi Commission for Volunteer Service Fund" by marking the appropriate box printed on the return pursuant to this subsection. In the case of a joint return, each spouse may designate that a portion of the refund shall be paid to such fund.
The State Tax Commission shall print on the face of the Mississippi income tax form for residents a space for designating the contribution in substantially the following form:
"MISSISSIPPI VOLUNTEER SERVICE FUND.
I wish to contribute ( )$1 ( )$5 ( )$10 ( )other $___________ of my TAX REFUND TO THE MISSISSIPPI VOLUNTEER SERVICE FUND."
(2) The State Tax Commission shall explain in the instructions accompanying the individual income tax form the purposes for which the contributions authorized herein shall be used.
(3) This section shall apply to taxable years beginning on or after January 1, 1996.
(4) The Chairman of the State Tax Commission shall determine annually the total amount designated by individuals to be paid to the fund, along with all interest earned thereon, and shall report such amount to the State Treasurer who shall pay such amount into the "Mississippi Commission for Volunteer Service Fund."
(5) The Mississippi Commission for Volunteer Service may expend such monies deposited into the fund pursuant to subsection (1) of this section only to implement Executive Order No. 742, The Mississippi Commission for National and Community Service, and Mississippi Senate Bill No. 2447, the Mississippi Commission for Volunteer Service, to promote community service and volunteerism as a way to meet local needs more effectively.
(6) This legislation hereby creates and establishes in the State Treasury a fund known as the Mississippi Volunteer Service Fund. These funds are to be deposited in an approved state depository and expended by appropriation approved by the Legislature as provided by law. The interest obtained from any investment or deposit of monies in such fund shall be deposited by the commission into such fund.
SECTION 2. This act shall take effect and be in force from and after July 1, 1997.